Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hiii shock of my life!!!
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:12 am 

hiii.. i m diagnosis with bpd...really scared ... it's like curse to my life!!! will i ever be cure???? is there any recovery from this illness or i will die with it?? please help

Post subject: Re: hiii shock of my life!!!
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:02 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

First, something to keep in mind. A diagnosis doesn't change who you are. It just gives a label to something that's already there.

And that label is a tool. A help to find information and resourses to help you.

Yes, recovery is posible. But it's not a cure. It's healing plus learning and using new skills. Which can be hard work. But very worthwhile.

I think of BPD as being not so much an illness, but more like a broken leg. It's not getting rid of something, but changing something within ourselves. And in a way that doesn't change the essence of who we are, but instead helps us become more ourselves.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:43 pm 
Community Leader
Community Leader

I really like Ellen's response to you, but I wanted to add my own WELCOME! too. I'm glad that you are here. I believe this site is a great way to help you understand this disorder and find some ways for you to manage (and perhaps 'recover') from BPD.

I personally don't view BPD as a 'curse'. I think having this diagnosis has kinda forced me to think about some things that I might not have before. With those thoughts come a better understanding of who I am and who I want to be for the future. Honestly, I don't know where I would be (mentally or physically) if I hadn't had the diagnosis given to me.....it's almost a grateful feeling I have about it now. I know myself and my goals, I'm happier and healthier---- life in general is just good nowadays and I don't believe I would have learned all the stuff I have learned if not for my diagnosis. I'm thankful-- but it has taken a lot of hard work for me to reach this place. It can be very scary at first-- we've all been there.

As far as you having this for the rest of your life (*dying with BPD*)........I think that is entirely up to you and your own commitment to deal with whatever aspects of BPD affect you adversely. Personally, I was diagnosed with BPD in August of 2007 (but I believe I had it way before the diagnosis actually came)......I'm now considered 'normal' by my therapist, whom I do not even see anymore. I think I will always have to be a bit more aware of my own reactions than most, but overall, I feel good-- happy. I do believe it's possible to 'recover' from BPD, but it takes quite a bit of soul-searching and just plain hard work on the part of the person with the disorder.

Check out the Tool section on your upper left screen; it's a great place to begin your journey with all of this. And please, look around the site and feel free to reply to a post or begin one of your own as you see fit.

Welcome! :yellowave

BRING IT ON!! -- personal mantra

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:53 am 

thanx guys!!!