Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: using the agreements
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:03 pm 

yesterday I caught myself making assumptions, taking things personally & although I didn't actually do anything with these thoughts at the time, I certainly didn't do my best - I didn't ask questions and clarify what exactly was being said to me and why & I caused myself some unneccessary distress in the process.

I've started back to hand therapy - rehab after my surgery. It's going to be a long, hard and slow process and I'm looking at 3 months before my wrist is fully functional. My PT asks me if I've been in a gym program, which I haven't and then says "We should look into getting you into one sometime." At the time I thought it was unusual thing to say to me and wasn't thinking on my feet, so just let it drop. It was after I left physio that I started reacting.

What I heard (and yes it's completely twisted and irrational) is "you're unfit, you're un-toned, you're fat. You need to be in a gym, getting in shape." I couldn't for the life of me understand (and still don't really get it) how a gym program would be necessary for the re-habilitation of my wrist. I also wondered seeing as her physio rooms are part of a gym complex, she gets commissioned to sign up her patients in a program? Yeah, I know my thinking is completely whack, given that none of these things have actually been said to me.

Instead of jumping to conclusions, making assumptions and turning a statement that I don't even understand into a "personal attack" on me, I need to go back there next appointment, and ask for clarification of what she meant and why she feels a gym program is necessary for my rehab. ACC are paying for my treatment and I have never heard of anybody having a gym program paid for them, and financially I'm not in a position to be paying to travel into town extra days and paying for a gym membership. But if it is considered a neccessary part of my treatment and ACC are willing to pay for it, I'll go for it.

Time to let this drop, get back on with life and explore it further next week.

Post subject: Re: using the agreements
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:40 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

I'm glad you're deciding to put the brakes on feeling as though you've been personally attacked. You are right. You don't know what she meant by that. And you're right to ask. It is your health we're talking about!

Post subject: Re: using the agreements
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:59 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Location: Reality ~ It's a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there!
Amanda, it is great that you were able to realize that what you were hearing may not be what she was saying after all! ;) It will be beneficial for you to get further clarification so you can use that knowledge to make the best choice you can about your health care.