Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Practicing 5 Steps with SCABS!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:46 am 

I am just starting to practice the 5 steps, and had a new victory: I am seeking to overcome SI (excessive scab picking--I know, disgusting!). As I logged on to check in here, I reached for a very itchy, deep scab. I thought about the fact that I was making a choice! What a concept, right? So I said, "The problem is, I have an itchy scab and I want to tear it off because I am anxious about bpd diagnosis. I could choose to tear it off and bleed/feel release, put a handy bandaid on it, or do nothing. I chose to put the bandaid on! Woo-hoo for me!! Creating new pathways in our brains is possible!!
Thanks for 'listening', it helps to write!

Post subject: Re: Practicing 5 Steps with SCABS!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:20 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

thesea,

Good for you. I never thought of picking off scabs as a form of SI....I know I have a hard time resisting doing it myself. Back in the 70's when I found myself in a real bpd crisis I was using a razor blade to make scratches on my arms, but later this escalated to somewhat deep cuts. It seemed to help the anxiety I was feeling, for the moment at least. I did have one trip to the ER for stitches, which I think helped me see how serious this had become.

I'm so glad you are here and dealing with this problem. Back in the 70's there didn't seem to be much known about BPD, but I believe there are meds which can help with the feelings which tend to bring on the SI.

Anyway, wish you well.
Dagwood