Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What to do about work situation
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:09 pm 

So my boss knows that working in extreme temperatures is driving all his staff mad. It varies between 30-33 degrees celsius. There is limited to no ventilation and it affects us all in many ways - working in uncomfortable wet clothing (soaked with sweat), dehydration and headaches, exhaustion from working in such a humid, hot environment. He also knows that customers are put off by the heat and sales drop as a result. He knew about the problem last year and promised something would be done about this year. We talked about this back in October before it got hot. He kept saying, I'm getting quotes. I'm sorting it. Well, it's now January and nothing has been sorted. He got 2 quotes and told us he would accept one and it would be done on 12-19th January. He lied as he then went onto tell me the other day that he was getting more quotes, because the prices vary so much. So, I'm trying to decide what to do about it:

1. I have checked out the legalities. I could report him to OSH (Occupational, health and safety.) and he would then by law be forced to do something about the working conditions.

2. I can continue to believe him that he's working on it and just learn to live with working in an sauna environment, until such time as something is done about it, or winter comes (whichever comes first - LOL).

3. I could resign.

I don't really want to do 1 - feels wrong to me to somehow.

2 I don't really believe him. He's had ample time and opportunity to get it sorted and it feels like he's just putting us off, saying what he wants us to hear, just to get us through to the next moment.

3. is a strong possibilty and I'd combine it with 1. If I don't feel the working conditions are suitable for me to work in, then why would it be suitable for anybody else?

None of these really feel right though. I don't really want to give up my job, but I do want to have something done about the working environment. So, how could I best go about getting my needs met here? Any thoughts on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:14 pm 

That's 86 - 91 degrees Farenheit for those who wonder.
My house gets that hot in the summer where I live, and I can barely function. I can't imagine having to work in such an environment. Can you tell your boss you don't know how much longer you'l be able to work under those conditions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:18 pm 

Ann - I'm going to call in and talk with the boss about it tomorrow when he comes up (he only comes 2 days per week.)

One of my co-workers walked out today. She's making a stand, refusing to come back until a ventilation or cooling system has been installed. I'm not sure what's going to happen now, except I have been assertive and made it quite clear that I'm not covering her hours for her - it isn't my problem. I'm on holiday now for 5 days to spend some time with my kids who are still on summer break. I kind of feel like joining her and telling him I'm refusing to return until the problem is sorted. I think this is what I'll do. He will be just have to run his own business or close down until the problem is solved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:04 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Maybe it's different in the states, but I never heard of offices not being air-conditioned. Some schools aren't completely A/C, but kids are off in the summer, so it's tolerable. But an office? In this day and age, I find that very strange. Are most offices, shopping centers, grocery stores, restaurants, etc. air-conditioned where you live? Is there a reason why your office isn't? I forgot what kind of business it is, but you mention customers. I can't imagine how someone could run a business with no A/C. Maybe all the workers could sign a petition or something like that? I sure hope your boss corrects this situation soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:55 am 

This sounds awful, Amanda

Quote:
. I have checked out the legalities. I could report him to OSH (Occupational, health and safety.) and he would then by law be forced to do something about the working conditions.

I don't really want to do 1 - feels wrong to me to somehow

Okay, I'm puzzled by that. What do you think it is about that choice that feels wrong to you? What kind of wrong do you feel?

The way I read it, for the past year employees and customers have become uncomfortable and ill in this environment and for more than a year the boss has lied about what he's doing to solve the problem. I'm pretty sure about what I'd do. I'd invite someone from OSH with a bit of clout to drop in to the worksite for some free samples. When the boss was present, of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:52 pm 

Wondering - I don't work in an office. I work in a small convenience store. Most places in NZ are not air-conditioned.

IBF - I feel it is wrong for me to not take my boss at his word and believe him that he is going to do something about the problem. I feel reporting him, without some kind of discussion would be unfair to him and not a nice thing to do.

I've got to admit guys, I have been procrastincating on this. The boss has asked me to call by and see him tomorrow for 10 minutes and I know what it's about before I even get there. He's going to put presure on me, to cover the hours of the lady who left, to increase my hours and to take over the reins (Just recently I gained my liquour controller qualification and got my general managers certificate.) However, I'm happy with the hours I have. I don't want any more. I have 3 kids to take care of. I'm studying & I have other commitments and It isn't practical for me to work full-time. Even if it was practically possible and it was my wish to work more hours, I could not agree to do so under the current working conditions. As it stands, I am considering informing my boss that I will give him until the month end to have the heat issue sorted otherwise, I'll be joining my colleague and terminating my employment.

So, I know what I want and I don't want, but getting that across feels a little bit scary for me, but I'm going to go in there tomorrow, feel the fear and do it anyway. Hopefully will be heard and respected and won't make a balls up of it.

Wish me luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:01 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Amanda--what happened when you met with your boss? Did you get anywhere with the intolerable heat situation or are you going to quit work? I hope your boss listened to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:17 am 

Good luck, Amanda. Hopefully what happened with the co-worker will force him into action if you refuse to take over her hours, even if you don't take a stand beyond that. I can't imagine he's going to find it easy to hire someone new.