Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Work
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:17 pm 

1. Stop / HALT
I'm hungry and feeling angry

2. Determine what the problem is:
I go into the supermarket where I work this morning; to get some meat for dinner and I am called out to by one of the ladies who works in the Deli: "Where you the Duty Manager last night? You need to make sure the "hotbox" is empty and any left-over hot cooked chickens are put on a tray and into the chiller."

Yeah, I already know this. I asked C to check the hotbox and she came back and told me that V had already done it. But, it would seem that V took out the chicken (thankfully there was only 1 left) and she just left it lying on the Deli counter!

3. Come up with THREE possible courses of action:
i - Let it go. People can make mistakes; and then accept the fact that as the Duty Manager on shift, that I am the one who cops it even when it is somebody else's mistake!
ii - Accept that the people I work with are irresponsible and do the stuff myself, or I could check, double check, maybe even triple check their work!
iii - Remind whomever is going to be emptying the hotbox on my shifts of procedure with regards to leftovers at the end of the day.

4. Figure out which one is best for now:

I figure I will go with iii.

5. DO IT!

I will write it in my diary "To do" this evening when I go to work again.

Post subject: Re: Work
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:39 pm 

Good idea I am going to print out these steps and keep them with me.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:11 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

That looks like a good analysis, and a great set of solutions! You broke that down quick!

III is probably the best solution, then I then II. Tell 'em what they're supposed to do, let the anger go and walk by the Deli at the end of the night before you leave?
Good work, Amanda.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:38 pm 
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just wanted to mention I had to throw 4 hotel pans of hamburgers out yesterday because I forgot to check the hotbox, and I am the manager. Sometimes, shit just happens. Maybe V got distracted right after taking out the chicken. I still like your solutions, just remember it was 1 chicken, 1 night.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:13 pm 

kari2171 wrote:
just remember it was 1 chicken, 1 night.

True. It is probably paranoia but, it almost feels like some of the "daytimers" are out to get the new girl on late shift. "Let's find all of her mistakes and make her look bad." I haven't worked in a large place before and my H told me it was common for the various shifts to complain about the others. who knows?

More issues: I just looked at my roster for this week. My shifts haven't changed any but, the 3 who are under my supervision changes constantly. Seems most of the non-duty manager checkout staff are on flexi-shifts and chop and change constantly. One night last week, I was rostered on with 3 juniors, which basically means I can't EVER leave the checkout or take a dinner break. It is my Duty Managers Certificate at stake, as well as the shops licence. Only another trusted senior can be left in charge of my "swipe key" which is needed to authorise alcohol, ciagrette, lighter sales. Fortunately that night the owner of the store was in; and I asked her who was my cover? She stayed and covered my dinner break for me. SO, I notice on this weeks roster, I have 2 nights with no senior. It's about more than not having a dinner break - sure I could work a 7 hour shift without a break (I shouldn't have to, but I could if necessary) but it means other jobs that I need to do, can't be done, even little things like dropping off money into the safe, or getting change. I'm not prepared to take risks and leave a junior with the key. Anyway, I spoke with the boss today and have given her a few days to get it sorted for me. Oh well, the joys of working in a large place.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:45 pm 
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're husbands right. I've never worked in a kitchen where the day crew didn't complain about the night, or the weekday about the weekend.

As for the break situation, that is something your boss needs to fix. You have to have some time too, even just to use the bathroom.