Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I did well today
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:21 pm 

I remember one of tenets of therapy being to celebrate the small victories, especially when you are feeling depressed.

Even fighting through the depression, I:
1. was productive at work and worked 9 hours
2 I made signifcant progress on my grad school dream: I finished the online application, figured out what 10 page paper and other items I need to include in the package which is to be sent to them. I put together the envelope (partially) All I need is a cover letter, which I hopefully can finish this week. I have a list of all of the things I need to do for the grad school process, and tonight I was able to mark off three of them. I only have three more things on the list until my entire application with all supporting materials is complete. And even though part of me is super anxious about this whole process, I realistically still have enough time, since the "official" deadline is April 1 and my deadline is March 1.

And I am proud of that. And I am proud of myself right now, especially because I am feeling a bout of depression.

It took me a minute to get there, to as strange as it may sound, to work up the courage to work on the grad school stuff. But I did work up the courage, and I'm proud of that too, as silly as it may sound.

Affirmations:
I am love, light and kindness.
I am COURAGE in action
I am the master of my own life
I control my life, and I control how I want to view that life.
I am confident and effective in all that I do.
I stand firm through all emotional fluctuations
I am safe and I AM strong
I will evolve into my potential

Post subject: Re: I did well today
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:10 am 

Oh, and I didn't get too stressed out at work today
and I ate lunch.

Celebrate the small victories - perhaps a form of self-care to help uplift the spirit.

ANd tomorrow, I have a ticket to a modern dance show and I'm going to make myself go - even though there's a large part of me that want to just come home and go to bed. lol But, I am going to try to utilize opposite action and go.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:35 am 

Well done you!

That is so great that you are managing to do all those things & be so productive & functional. And it's even better that you are doing so with a positive attitude and self worth. That's inspiring to me, as I struggle so much with those things....my own self esteem is very low at the moment and I find it so hard to finish anything; or even start, for that matter.

So keep up the good work and keep sharing your positivity. *Hugs* Well done.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:33 am 

Thank you. It is so funny how other people "see" positivity when to me it just feels like surviving. But, the depression does seem to act as a filter. As long as I keep on making baby steps, and remember the things that therapy has taught me over the years I know I will be okay. One step at a time, one breath at a time, one moment at a time .... lol I try to remember the big picture ... I try to focus on my own goals and dreams .... one baby step at a time. Eventually, I will succeed, just because I'm stubborn (or persistent depending on your perspective) like that. lol. Thank you for supporting me in that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:30 pm 

Great stuff. I too am struggling with a bout of depression & have been inspired by your posts and you moving yourself forward through it. Thanks so much for sharing the things that you are doing to take care of 'you'. It motivates me to plug along. Thanks.