Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coping with irrationally high level of anger
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:21 am 

Today, whilst on a really relaxing and rejuvenating beach camping/fishing trip (which I've been on for a week now), I felt my old familiar friend creeping up.

Something he said/did made me incredibly angry. I felt it bubbling and I felt like I couldn't control it. Well, I did.

I slightly bit my lip. I told myself "let it go, you can't control his behavior and nothing bad happened (I catastrophize a lot!).

I went very quiet, then I put my hand on his and smiled. I convinced myself to let it go.

Now, it did get tricky for a brief spell. He asked me "what was that head shake for?" I must have unconsciously shaken away the anger!) I snapped a little and said "I'm processing, please just don't ask why I have to, just ignore it."

He pushed again and said something related to why I had become angry in the first place. Then I slipped up and said "are you dense? Don't talk about it!"

I admit the second part of our dialogue became aggressive but all in all I think I handled the situation better than usual, and now I know to breathe and focus on my lack of control over his actions- I just know its going to get easier.