Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm going to do it!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:24 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

So I've bit my nails since I was a kid. Now as an adult, I'll get acrylics to keep me from biting them, but I can't afford them right now. So, half my fingers are covered by band-aids since I've ripped off the nail and bitten off the cuticle. Sigh...

Well, I've decided I'm going to stop. Just stop. I've tried to stop before, but I think by just trying, I was allowing myself room to fail. I am going to stop. I know I can do it. I'll chew gum when I get the urge to bite. I'll put on hand lotion when I get the urge to chow on my cuticles. I will have pretty hands, damn it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:41 pm 

Have you thought about wearing gloves to stop yourself? I managed to stop pulling my eyebrows out recently by wearing a hair band over them when I was at home... I looked like Rambo, but it worked! Meant I had that extra time delay to realise what I was doing and consciously choose not to. It's been three weeks now.

Anyway, good luck! :thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:55 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Yes, I have Marga. I have to find the gloves and wash them. It's been a while since I've used them, but that might help! Thanks for reminding me, Marga. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:30 pm 

If a pair of gloves will help, will two pair help even more?

Here's why I think so.... it's easy to slip off a glove, have a bite and slip it back on. But... it's much harder to slip off a glove, slip off the tight latex exam glove underneath and then bite with all that yummy lotion still all over your hands.

Seems that anyplace you can feel okay about wearing a pair of gloves, nobody will know about the magic pair underneath. Nobody cept you. And you'll know what a hassle it will be to sneak a nibble under those circumstances, coz you'll have to carry extra latex gloves, extra lotion, extra hand wipes... oh yeah... black leather motorcycle gauntlet gloves with long fringe I think ought to be just right for Sattidy nite!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:53 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

LOL! That's a good idea, IBF. Make it difficult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:57 pm 
Community Leader
Community Leader

Let me know if it works. I do ok for long periods of time, but with the new stress of being out of work (actually it started with the stress of really hating the job I just left) I'm back at it again. My cuticles are my biggest problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:03 pm 

I'm a total chewer, too. What is it about cuticles that's so maddening?
Good luck Trinity...keep us informed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:14 pm 

I'm also a nail (cuticle) biter and have been since i was young. My nails grew really nice while i was pregnant i think the prenatal vitamins helped. I know the more stress i'm under, the more i bite.
I used to get my nails done, but also cannot afford it, I'm hoping to maybe find a place thats not so expensive and get them done again but til then i have to let them grow somewhat or the acrilic won't hold since they are so short. I really do hope you are able to stop i know how hard it can be, If ya find a good way to stop please let us know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:12 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

For me it's both the cuticle and the skin around the fingers, too. I've peeled off skin all the way past my first knuckle. EW!

I'll definitely check in and let you know how goes it. So far, I haven't chewed once tonight! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:50 pm 

I have actually managed to stop and catch myself on occasion now heading that way and can stop almost as soon as I start, but was difficult and took persistence.

As they started to grow back I started to care for them, spent time soaking my hands in water etc... I have quite a little regime going now, and because I focus so much on looking after them the desire to chew at them seems so much less. Why would I wanna destroy all that work?

I did actually go and get mine done today, as a kinda quit smoking treat but eurrgghhh as pretty as they look they are soo annoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:39 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Bogit, I'm hoping to get where you are. Where they're so pretty I won't mess with them. That's why I don't chew on the acrylics. They look great! Now, I just want my real nails to look like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:09 am 

Good luck with this Trin. I was a compulsive nail biter for years until my late teens and I moved out and went to live with my mother, who slapped me around the head every time my hands went near my mouth. It worked for me, but of course I'm not suggesting that violence is the answer. :shysmile

Just wanted to say that I ended up having the strongest nails ever after all those years of biting. I have friends who are envious of them because they grow nice and long, really quickly and they take a real hammering to break them. Maybe you'll be as lucky?

All the best with it and keep us posted. I know how hard it is to break bad habits.