Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Positive Self Talk letting me down
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:17 am 

I have been doing quite well for a while using positive self talk to deal with my borderline until about a week ago. A whole lot of things happened at once. A close friend died, my mum's cancer came back, my step daughter (15) started baiting me, i had an arguement with my t.....

I have felt totally out of control since. I have not hurt myself which is brilliant, but I cant get my brain to slow down.

Any ideas or advice on how to slow my mind down. And yes, I have tried relaxation, breathing, pausing and all that stuff...

thanx

xxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:25 pm 

I find it helpful to remove myself physically from the environment in which I am feeling triggered. (if possible). I find tai chi to be very centering...takes me out of my head away from my thoughts (or momentary obsessions). I try to imagine the negative energy being expelled as black smoke with each exhalation, replacing it with clarity, calmness, positivity in each inhalation. Being one with my body and breath in this way is very affirming. validates that you're human and are experiencing something very real in the present moment. Helps you become mindful of the current emotion, able to observe, describe, and participate in it by acknowledging it, engaging it, letting it go. over and over and over again until it's no longer to overwhelming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:29 pm 

there is a technique in tai chi called "ward off" I find this to be a literal practice of "warding off" the triggers and my reactions to things.

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/1809 ... f-left.htm

this lady explains it very well.