Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Learning Important Lessons About Buying Our First Home
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:37 am 

For the past month or so, my husband and I have been trying to buy our first home. We had one specific property in mind, and it was beautiful. Long story short, after spending a lot of time and personal resources on trying to make this place our own, the deal fell through. We're very sad, but the reason I'm putting this in Absolutely Positively is that it's been a good experience. Not a happy experience, that's for sure, but a valuable learning experience. The fact that both my husband and I have BPD and managed to get through this without any major meltdowns is a great victory for both of us. It was hard to walk away, but we feel confident that we made the right decision. Now we're ready to move on. I know we'll find a home that meets our needs.

Take care,

EmJay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:44 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

When they say "everything happens for a reason" they mean it!

I'm glad you're able to see this as the positive experience it was. That's fabulous news!

When we put in an offer on a house, the sellers took their time & waited to the last minute to counter-offer. For that whole first day, I was jacked up and anxious. "Come on, hurry up, I want this house, it's beautiful, perfect, can't wait, let's go!" But the next day we found a better house for our needs, in a better neighborhood, less money and we got it. It sucked not to hear right away and slide right into that first house deal but it really DID work out for the best.

Have you guys started looking for other properties? This is a wonderful buyer's market right now. I'd recommend trying to find some short sales but they're a bit sticky since banks can be slow-moving, greedy and the biggest "players" in the game. You might find a really good deal on a place that's already in foreclosure / been foreclosed on.

Also remember: a house is just a house; home is where your heart is. (I've lived in 25-ish homes so I don't really have attachments to walls & roofs - it's all about what you make of it when you're in it.)

The fact that you both got through the process with your hearts in-tact means whatever house you end up with will be the perfect home for you two!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:14 pm 

Thanks for the encouragement, Ash! We'll probably look at a few other properties this weekend, and there are plenty of foreclosures here in California, that's for sure!

Take care,

EmJay