Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trying to make positives out of the negative
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:46 pm 

I could scream and rant and rave and go on and on about how bloody sick I am of being in constant pain and now severely limited in the use of my right arm which has to be permanently immobilised in a brace for the next god knows how many months on a "off-chance" that it might just right itself. I could go on and on and about how it's taken 10 months to finally get a confirmed diagnosis (ECU tendon dislocation/subluxation) and to find out that well, I've been doing it more harm because it hasn't been supported 24/7 for the last 10 months. I was actually told NOT to have it permanently supported because I would lose mobility and muscle strength etc - well guess what? I lost strength by not having supported - I have a pull strength of only 9kg in my dominant hand, compared to 30kg in my left. I could go on and on about how sweaty, uncomfortable, itchy and annoying and limiting having my arm in a brace is.

Damn it, I have to accept it, get used to it and see the positive in it. Trying to cheer myself up under such yucky circumstances.

1. A small possibility that I might not need to have surgery if I keep it immobilised for many months, allowing the tendon to re-stabilise somehow (I have no idea how that happens naturally but, yeah well em!)

2. Getting used to being restricted, itchy, sweaty and uncomfortable now because after the op if/when I have it, I will be in a cast for 8 weeks, followed by bracing for 6 weeks.

3. There is a theory by immobilising the joint, it will reduce the pain and therefore improve my grip strength. I have to however do daily hand physio exercises.

4. lol, I'm even learning how to use the mouse with my left hand and to speed type with one hand.:)

Aggh this sucks. I'm trying to be positive about it, but it stinks. It just stinks. I try to imagine what it would be like to have no arm and having to re-learn stuff and then it pulls my head back in and reminds me there are people who are worse off than me.

Post subject: Re: trying to make positives out of the negative
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:05 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

(((Amanda))),

I agree it stinks!!! How yukky to have to wear a brace for months! I would be screaming and crying about it if it happened to me. But it looks like you're right; you just have to accept it.You've listed the positives, which are hard to find in such a situation. But you don't have a terminal illness; you can be grateful for that. You have a brain, and are managing to type. Yes, things could be a lot worse, but you still have the right to complain and say the situation stinks!!

Post subject: Re: trying to make positives out of the negative
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:53 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Location: Reality ~ It's a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there!
I find that the "it could be worse" thinking helps me put things into perspective as well. Whenever I feel like complaining about things that seem "unfair" or inconvenient in some way, I have to remind myself to be thankful for what I have and one of the blessings in my life is that I don't live with chronic pain. Sometimes those temporary periods of pain help us be more thankful for the times we get through a day without constant pain. If you can stay focused on the "temporary" aspect of your immobility, you can at least find comfort in knowing that it won't always be this way and that things really will get better.