Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I faced a fear
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:04 pm 

Some of you may remember (or maybe not) but a while back, I spoke about a lady that I met on a number of occassions, in the waiting room at our therapists office (same office, different T) and how we seemed to connect well with one and other and how I expressed an interest (to my T) about getting to know her better, but at the same time I felt quite apprehensive about it. To cut a long story short, my T gave me D's number (and vice-versa) and I've had it in my purse for months and have never been able to pluck up the courage to call. D has never plucked up the courage to call me, either!

Last week at my T's office, D & I met up again (first time in months) and once again I felt an almost instant liking for her and connection with her. We talked for a bit, she shared some stuff with me; and it became apparent to me that we both have similar fears about forming new relationships/ getting back into life after PTSD, stress overload; and after years of isolating ourselves.

So, that same day, I pulled her number out of my purse and I called her and we talked for a bit and we made arrangements to meet for lunch today. I was feeling quite nervous about the meeting, although looking forward to it at the same time. Don't you hate it when you have conflicting feelings about something? Normally my fear would win in a situation like this.

Anyway, we met. We had a really nice time together. We discovered that we had a lot in common, shared similar interests and have had similar life experiences, and have similar goals/dreams for the future. It was like we'd known each other for years. I felt so comfortable and relaxed with her. The only awkward moment was when both our T's turned up for lunch at the same cafe. :shock And I also wasn't expecting her to hug me as we walked to our cars. I don't do physical contact too well, but at the same time it was nice gesture and I too was glad that we've finally gotten the courage up, to meet and to start to get to know one another better. We made arrangements to meet up again next week.

I'm really proud of myself for not allowing my fears to win over me. I think the timing of this is right for me with one of my closest friends moving away and therapy coming to an end soon (and the ending/change of 2 relationships that have been really important to me.)

Anyway, I just wanted to share this. This is really a big thing for me. Yay me!

Post subject: Re: I faced a fear
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:34 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

This is AWESOME Amanda. I'm really happy to hear you met up with your new friend and that it went well.

Excellent!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:45 pm 

Way to go, Amanda!!!! Great courage and a great payoff!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:01 am 

Yay! I'm really pleased it went so well. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:09 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Bravissima, Amanda! Well played. Very proud of you - way to go!