Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 147
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:44 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

I burned 147 calories today at the new & improved (free) fitness center at my office complex. My goal is to do that five days a week throughout the summer. It's not much - I only worked out for 20 mins because I spent the other time trying to figure out how to get the lights and tv's on while my husband was on the elliptical for his 30 mins. But moving forward, I'll insist on doing my full 30 mins.

For most of the time on the treadmill, I hovered around the 3.5-3.8 mph range but I did three 30-second bursts at 6.0 mph. That was the longest and most I've ever done like that. Usually I only go like 10-15 seconds at a time and then no more than twice. I'm hoping to get myself up to a full 20 mins at 6.0 mph if I can. It would be nice to be able to do a ten minute mile.

After breakfast, it's off to Ross to find a decent sports bra!

Post subject: Re: 147
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:27 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

I'm looking at apartments now, looking to move to a different city, since my bf's company has been bought out and is moving into a new building about 20 min. away. The one I am looking at has a gym!

I'm starting yoga this week. Going to do 3 days and see how it feels. I haven't truly exercised on a plan in years! I hope I will be able to get out of bed the next day lol.

Congrats on your efforts and hoping you make that 10 minute mile!

It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow. -- Robert H. Goddard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:56 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

I hope you enjoy yoga. I think it takes a specific kind of person to really enjoy it. I tried it once and was bored to tears because there wasn't enough activity, movement, excitement. I'm too much of a goal-oriented person - like with the 6 min mile and the number of calories burned. I have to have my eye on the prize or at least the clock to challenge myself to the next level.

Don't get me wrong - yoga was a GREAT workout. It really works just about everything and you'll definitely work up a sweat, that's for sure.

Do you know what kind of yoga you're going to be doing?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:10 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

I'm not sure what type it is. I can't find that. It's actually a good dvd for ps2, called yourself fitness. Has a website: http://www.yourselffitness.com.

I'm hoping for increased flexibility. I've also read that you can increase your height up to two inches by doing yoga. I enjoy the stretching. I also am hoping it will help to focus my mind.

I'm sure if I decide to continue it, that I will get more into styles and whatnot.

It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow. -- Robert H. Goddard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:38 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Just watch out if you go to a yoga studio. I can't remember if it's the Ashtanga or the Hatha which is done in 105* F heat. All I can say to that as a concept is: "NO THANK YOU!" LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:42 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

lol I will. I wouldn't go unless I had researched the instructors, type, etc., to know what I was in for. Seeing as my bf jokes that my temperature tolerance lies within 3 degrees, I doubt I would last too long in that.

I found it: Working in 105-degree air with 60 to 70 percent humidity is essential to the method, according to its founder, Bikram Choudhury , a Los Angeles-based yoga teacher who's become world-famous for creating this style of yoga. He says the heat allows muscles to stretch more easily, increases the heart rate for a better cardiovascular workout and detoxifies the body by opening pores to release toxins.

http://www.bikramyoga.com/press/press14.htm

That's just obscene lol.