Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newly Diagnosed
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:58 pm 

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and I decided to join because you all seem like friendly/helpful/active bunch of people.
I was just diagnosed with BPD last week and I thought it was the end of the world. I had gone to a Doc for anxiety and after a long session and ten million questions he got out his DSMV, or whatever it's called, and read me the symptoms of BPD. I could not believe it. It was like he was reading an exact description of my life. I cried because i reazlied then that my life was even more messed up then I ever thought possible. I mean, yeah, I knew I was depressed and had issues but I didn't know I was this bad.

The biggest problem is this Doc said he will not treat me for BPD, he's not experienced to do so. And unfortuntaely there is only 1 person who does within 3 hours of me and she doesn't accept my insurance. I called her anyways and talked to her, I'm going to see her on Monday and we made some temporary payment arrangment but honestly, I don't think she will keep seeing me for that amount and I can't afford to pay her more.

I can't believe that this is such a common disorder that no one in my area treats it? It's not exactly like I live in the middle of nowhere...

Post subject: Re: Newly Diagnosed
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:57 pm 
Community Leader
Community Leader

:welcome

I'm glad you found this forum so soon after your diagnosis. I hope that you will find the resouces here to be of comfort. There are Tools to your left on the screen which I have found to be very useful (I'm new too!).

BRING IT ON!! -- personal mantra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:53 am 

Tigeramy,

Welcome! There is a lot you can do to help yourself without formal therapy. Read all you can about bpd, and most importantly, use the tools provided on this site.

cosmo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:45 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Welcome! I know you're probably overwhelmed right now - I was overwhelmed when I first received my diagnosis. But the more I read, the more I saw myself - I also knew that now that I had a diagnosis, I could begin to get better. As cosmo said, there are Tools here that you can use. You might also look into DBT - it's called Dialectical Behavior Therapy. It's a technique by Dr. Marsha Linehan to help treat BPD. You can google it and find out about it. I know Yahoo has a DBT class on-line that you can tap into. There is also a workbook that you can purchase to help you learn more about it.

Between using the Tools here and learning DBT skills, I have come a long way since my diagnosis 3 years ago. I am not "cured" - but I have learned a lot and things are a lot better for me.

I hope to see you around here! Again, welcome!!!!

......I'm gonna look at you till my eyes go blind..... (Bob Dylan)