Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Struggling With Symptoms
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:45 am 

I have been diagnosed as a borderline for about three years now and recently I have been struggling with my impulse control. I was sober for two and a half years and all of a sudden decided I didn't want to be sober anymore. Along with my drinking comes driving and promiscuity. I feel like my borderline has full control of my life. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Struggling With Symptoms
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:55 am 

Welcome to BPDR, Kristen. Many of us can relate to your falling back into old destructive habits - it happens. But you are to be congratulated for two and a half years of sobriety, which means you CAN do it.
There are many tools listed on the left hand side of the screen. The most helpful ones for me have been the ten twisted ways of thinking and the ten ways to untwist!
Are you seeing a therapist to help you address your impulse issues? It might be a help, since they are trained to be supportive but also challenge us to take responsibility for our destructive behaviors.
Also, there may be a medication that suits you and helps you have more control over your actions. Lamictal plus Abilify did wonders to eliminate my suicidal thoughts and SI.
And here on this forum you'll find many folks who have wisdom and support to offer. Good luck to you!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:37 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Hello!
I have been sober for eight years now, and I can tell you that my sanity and sobriety go hand in hand. If I don't have one, I'll soon lose the other. The good news ( for me) was that the sort of work I need to do to stay sober is very similar to the work that I need to do to keep my BPD under control. It's as if they are one and the same. Two and a half years is two and a half years - you didn't lose any of that. You just set it aside for a while. You made it that far, and you still know everything you learned.

But it isn't easy, and it's so very easy to slip back into the old ways of doing things. I may have a few years of some type of recovery, but i have thirty years of being sick. I've had BPD a LOT longer than I've been treating it.

Welcome to our site! That little box on the left marked "Tools" has a lot of stuff that really made me think. It IS possible to control, manage, reduce and even eliminate the worst of our BPD. It just requires a lot of work and thought and patience. We're here to listen and to share and to answer any questions. Read on!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:53 am 
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome!!!

I'm sorry to hear of your setback, but remember it is just that-- a setback. You do have 2 1/2 years of good work under your belt. Congradulate yourself! You are in control of your life, although it is hard to see that sometimes. You can choose your actions. You have the power to decide.

Good luck. We are here to help in whatever way we can. Welcome to the board.

BRING IT ON!! -- personal mantra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:36 am 

Thanks for all the support. I am trying to get up the courage to go to an AA meeting. I have trouble going places by myself. I have a lot of anxiety about it. I mostly just stay home. I know there is a whole world out there that I am missing but I am so afraid. This is something I am working on with my therapist along with the impulse control.