Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: boyfriend of BPD woman
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:29 am 

Hi,
I've dated a woman for 7 years with many breakups. Strange fights keep happening over absolutely nothing. I want to know what I can do when one of these fights start in order to settle things in a good way.

For example: One day she asked me how she looked in a particular outfit. I said great. She asked me why I lie to her. I wasn't lying. Not only did I think she looked great but I believe any average person off the street would say so also.

She did point out a barely noticible imperfection on her body. I still maintained that she looks beautiful and nobody would notice. She blew up on me and now the argument was about me not letteing her explain what bothers her and me not understanding that other women would see what she was talking about, and how obsessive I can be about myself. This argument lasted all day and ruined a vacation.

My point of view is I told my girlfriend I think she is beautiful and she punished me for it.

What can I do when these things happen? We are not dating at the moment but I miss her terribly and when I ask her to get back together I would like to think it will work this time.

Post subject: Re: boyfriend of BPD woman
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:53 am 
Community Member
Community Member

welcome to bpdr. all one can really do is work on ourselves.

her vision of her is her thing. communication, and separation of self and stuff is what i suggest you study up on. Tools over on the left side of the page is a good start.

ie...you could say "in my view, you are beautiful, i see your view is different." and leave it. no arguing, no defending. walk off.

also set good boundaries with her and everyone. " altho i love you, i cant allow this to continue. i will speak to you when you can speak like a adult--when you feel like listening to my side, etc, "/ and again, walk on.

this is very important in any relationship and is the building blocks for everyone. consistent, fair boundaries of what we allow from others.

that said, this isnt simple nor easy nor fast. it might take more posts and work on your part to understand these concepts and put them into practice.

you asked""""I want to know what I can do when one of these fights start in order to settle things in a good way.""". what you can is for you. you cant control how something will be settled but on your end. this is boundaries, what you allow or wont allow and how you choose to enforce those. it takes 2 to fight or argue. you can choose to not respond. and not allow her to disrespect you.

my guess, all it is is a guess, is she felt scared in that dress. she wanted to believe you but it frightened her and she responded in a defensive manner to deflect her feelings onto you. you took the bait, and it went from there.

that sounds like a typical exchange i have had with my H. its very important to learn to not fall into the arguing. whether things would work or not would be up to you, but also up to her. and that you cant control. only yourself.

good to meet you :) jody