Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi, I'm BPD and about to be a mum.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:36 pm 

Hello!

I was diagnosed with BPD about, um, sheesh, 1.5 to 2 years ago. I regularly thank God for the patient and wise psychiatrist that diagnosed me, cos I threatened him with violence several times during that assessment! I was then put directly into DBT, and given a psychologist. Things have improved for me a million fold, of course, but that is relative to the hell I lived in for 10 years, so, not quite yet all tolerable.

About eight months ago I fell pregnant, so the stakes have just been raised considerably. At least it is to a man with whom I have a somewhat stable relationship with, and who is just regularly screwed, not disordered. A couple months ago we moved city, back to my home town, so I'm between social services at the moment, somewhat stranded with my disorder, forced to make progress on my own or keep my psyche in deep freeze. I have just been given over to a group called "Maternal Mental Health" something or rather, who will start seeing me a couple weeks after my baby's due date, and at least help me be sure that I am bonding, and etc.

During my time without therapy, reflecting on what I have experienced with my psych and DBT, I feel I am coming to some maturity on the kind of help I want and what I think about the current state of things for us BPD people, and am not terribly impressed. DBT is at least very helpful, but I find overall that professionals are still too mystified or simply uninformative about BPD, often going against DBT practices in their own methods. For example, we are to find our true identity and not over identify ourselves with our disorder, yet we are treated by most people still as defined by it in our behaviour and experiences. It is pretty difficult to find validation and therefore get better when people treat you like you're crazy.

Obviously I'm ranting now. This is my hello post, so, hello. :)

Post subject: Re: Hi, I'm BPD and about to be a mum.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:20 pm 

Speaking of ranting, where are such things meant to go? Do you discourage wanton posts or is there somewhere fitting? Like, if I wanted to elaborate in painful detail about how much I miss X drug because I'm drugfree atm. Is that considered unhelpful or should it go in the drug forum?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:32 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

We focus here on "happy healthy living." We use Tools (on the left) to work on our issues and try to be positive. I think it's great that you're drug-free and hope that would be your focus.

......I'm gonna look at you till my eyes go blind..... (Bob Dylan)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:42 pm 

Ah, gotcha, np!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:59 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Welcome Aramoana!