Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Self diagnosed, calling doc tomorrow.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:34 pm 

Hey everyone. I am really happy to have found this forum. I just discovered BPD two nights ago after a particularly horrid meltdown which took me frustrated and wanting answers to my computer. I stumbled on a site listing the symptoms of BPD and now I know what has been wrong with me my whole life.

I am totally 100% committed to learning how to live a happy life. When I started reading that list of symptoms, I knew immediately that this is what I've been suffering with for so long. I was diagnosed with PTSD and depression several years back, and the psychologist wanted to refer me to a psychiatrist and get on meds. I'm super stubborn about not taking meds, not because I'm some Tom Cruise, but because I personally have issues with taking drugs if there is a chance I can heal by other means. I will be looking at the Tools section as recommended by some of you, and look forward to getting to know you all!

Thank you to whoever put this forum together, I have no support system in my life right now whatsoever, so this means a lot to me.

Jezebel

Post subject: Re: Self diagnosed, calling doc tomorrow.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:01 am 

Jezebel,

So glad you found us! Make yourself at home.

cosmo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:11 am 

Thanks for the warm welcome cosmo!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:52 am 

Welcome to BPD RECOVERY, jezebel. Sounds like you're on the right path by getting a profesional involved .. I would just mention that it might help to keep an open mind about meds. I can identify with your reaction about wanting to get better without them, but you know, sometimes there is an actual brain chemistry that can be made better by the meds so that you can then work more effectively to make a happy, healthy life. A diabetic can't "will" their insulin level to be right and I came to the same conclusion about myself and my BPD. I do take meds and I'm grateful for them. Doesn't mean we don't have to work the tools listed on this site, plus DBT perhaps (Very helpful to me) meditation, other tools that you will find to help you.
Wishing you all the best and sending my warm regards to you.
medusa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:30 pm 

Well, I have gone to a therapist three times since my last post, and she diagnosed me yesterday (saying it was a little early to know for sure) but that I have Bipolar II and probably BPD as well. Does anyone know anything about having both of these, and how do you cope?