Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guy with Borderline PD
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:38 am 

Hi everybody. It's great I've found this site, and got my account activated (had to look through my spambox to get the activation code).

I was diagnosed with BPD about 4 months ago. I'm currently taking Citalopram and Olanzapine (Cipramil and Zyprexa), but I'm not in DBT yet. I'm seeing a therapist at a community suicide prevention centre, as well as a psychiatrist.

I'm not really sure what else to say. Thanks for reading this.

Post subject: Re: Guy with Borderline PD
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:59 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Welcome! I'm glad you found us. For starters, you can look at the left side of the page and see the Tools listed. They are a good source of help for many of us.

It's great that you're seeing a therapist and a pdoc. My T helps me at times with DBT stuff. I bought the workbook and I really like it. Yahoo also has a DBT class on-line.

I was in your wonderful city last year. My H and I traveled to Ireland - I wanted to see the ancient sites. We went to Limerick, Galway, and Dublin. Stopped at ancient sites along the way. It was the best trip I ever took!!!

Anyway, I'm glad you're here and that you're also getting help. We're always here!!!!

......I'm gonna look at you till my eyes go blind..... (Bob Dylan)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:14 am 
Community Leader
Community Leader

:welcome

Hello!!

I see a therapist, but I don't do DBT either, although many here do and I think it's a good thing. I'm also not on meds personally. Everyone does this a little differently, but this site is CBT oriented. That focus really helps me. Healthy, happy living is the goal.

I followed your link to your blog and looked around a bit. What a great concept! I'm of Irish decent on both sides; my family is big on the Irish heritage. My dad ran from coast to coast across Ireland on the 200th anniversary of my family coming to America. I was just a kid, I didn't get to go. I also find it interesting that you speak foreign languages--my family is really good at that, although I am not. I take it you speak Japanese? Do you speak Gaelic?

Anyway, welcome to BPDR. Have a look around and jump in or begin a thread where you see fit. I hope you like it here, this place and the people here help me a lot!!

BRING IT ON!! -- personal mantra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:05 pm 

@Bordergirl:
I've never been to Galway, but I hear it's a great place (some call it the Culture Capital of Ireland). And I agree, some of the best holidays I've had have been in Ireland.

@Harmonium:
I've been learning Japanese for the past few years - though I'm nowhere near fluent yet. I speak fluent Irish (we don't call it 'Gaelic'); I went to Irish-speaking schools when I was younger. I also speak a bit of French; I used to live in France for the first six months of this year.

Thank you both for your replies!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:28 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Galway has GREAT music! We went to a few pubs there. A few years ago I made a new friend who is a linguist. She is Irish descent and she gave me a few books on learning Irish. Forget about it - I couldn't figure it out to save my life! I really wanted to learn, but just couldn't do it. My friend told me that her great-grandfather was a "hedge master." He was killed by the English for teaching Irish to the children. Sad story.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:33 pm 
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry for my flub, hope I didn't offend. :blush I'm learning!! I think it's really cool to have linguistic skills.

In any case, welcome here. I hope you like it!

BRING IT ON!! -- personal mantra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:16 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Location: Reality ~ It's a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there!
I learned the Irish national anthem from someone who lives in Ireland and worked at the same summer camp I did last summer. She indicated that it was in Gaelic but I don't know if that is the same as speaking "Irish" or not. I love the sound of the language no matter what it is called. I got to play the widow Paroo (Marian's mother) in "The Music Man" while I was in high school because I was the only one who auditioned for the part who could do the Irish accent. I nearly got the part a second time in a community theater production but I had a baby on the first day of rehearsals and they were concerned that I might not be able to commit to a leading role so I was one of the "pick a little" ladies instead. I was supposed to be a dancer in that production as well but when I went to try a high kick after having just given birth (I had been a dancer in "Oliver" the year before and was one of four in the chorus who could do a high kick, even though I have never taken a dance class in my life, LOL) I realized that it was going to compromise my stitches and I had to decline on doing the dance scenes.

If I could travel anywhere in the world, Ireland would be my first pick. I am part Irish but as an "American mutt" I have all sorts of nationalities represented in my heritage, including Native American (you can see by my avatar that I have strawberry blonde hair, blue eyes, light skin and freckles so I look far more Irish than Native American). I guess I identify more with being Irish than anything else and the pictures I have seen of Ireland are so beautiful that I would love to see the country if I had the money to travel.

If you can get into a DBT group, I recommend the therapy. I have been diagnosed as having BPD in the past and I found that doing DBT gave me a focus for staying in therapy rather than having to talk about the past. The therapy is helpful for many other disorders as well but it has been statistically the most effective therapy for people with BPD. What I liked was that the "group therapy" was more like a class and that made it easier for me to attend. There were some things I did not do, such as diary cards, and it took me two years to get through all the modules once (you are supposed to get through them twice in a year) since I was in and out of therapy during that time, but learning concrete skills that I could practice and use was far more beneficial to me than traditional "talk" therapy. The tools we use here at BPDR are also concrete skills that you can practice and use since they are also based on CBT.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:33 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

I've been to Ireland too, a couple times, including Dublin. Nice country, nice people.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:57 am 

Hi Borderlineguy

I'm new too, just checking out the other newbies. Looking forward to the support and growth here :)

Bordergirl wrote:
It's great that you're seeing a therapist and a pdoc. My T helps me at times with DBT stuff. I bought the workbook and I really like it. Yahoo also has a DBT class on-line.

Bordergirl - are you able to write the webpage for this yahoo site or is that not allowed? Similarly are you able to tell me the name of the workbook you're referring to?

Cheers!

CG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:03 am 
Community Member
Community Member

The DBT class is through Yahoo. The e-mail address is: dbtclass@yahoo.com.

The name of the book is "Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder" by Marsha M. Linehan.

I hope this helps!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:24 pm 

Bordergirl wrote:

The name of the book is "Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder" by Marsha M. Linehan.

I hope this helps!

Thank you! :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:19 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

You're welcome!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:58 am 

Bordergirl wrote:

I hope this helps!

Those classes sound cool. How has it helped you?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:44 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Every week we get a different lesson. We have a week to work on the lesson and then there is homework. So it keeps reinforcing the lessons and the skills. It keeps me aware that I need to use these skills.