Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: just looking for support
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:06 pm 

i am 36, married & have two daughters. my girls are 13 & 1 1/2. I have BPD, GAD & dysthimia. i have finally admitted to myself that the 2 years of therapy that I have had were not enough. i am re-entering therapy. i am trying to be a better mother & wife. i am currently trying to figure out how to get out of my own head and lay some boundaries for my kids and also how to help my husband better understand...

Post subject: Re: just looking for support
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:45 pm 

I'm not familiar with GAD but I'm sure you'll be ok. You are taking the first step to helping yourself and those around you by getting back into therapy, and joining this site. There are a lot of different tools on the left hand side of the site, I found them helpful. Many people are going through the same thing, and sometimes just relating to each other helps to heal (at least ourselves). Has your husband ever come to therapy with you? Has he read up on what you suffer from? Maybe also try referring him to a site for those coping with loved ones that are bpd and other illnesses. I am on this site, my bf is on one for people coping and supporting bpd loved ones. It's helped already (I've only been on here for two days) as he's been online about my illness since I was diagnosed (just this year, I'm 27; eight year diagnosis of biploar mistakenly). These things may help, and sometimes just venting your frustrations with yourself and others helps too. We are all here to help each other. Hugs! :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:45 am 

gad is generalized anxiety disorder. my husband doesn't have a lot of free time to go to therapy with me. he sort of understands but mostly just gets frustrated with me. i told him about the bpd support for family forum but beyond craigslist, he is not the computer type.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:31 am 
Community Leader
Community Leader

:welcome

You are in good company on this forum. I am all too familiar with GAD, as well as BPD. Some others are as well.

If your trying to lay down some boundaries, the seperation of stuff tool in the box to your left really helped me. It's not a skill learned overnight, I still struggle, but it is getting easier!

I just wanted to say hello and offer my support. Please have a good look around when you can. I hope to speak with you again. :D

BRING IT ON!! -- personal mantra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:42 pm 

Hmmmmm. Hugs go out to you as I know (as many of us do) what you're going through. Does he read much? Because maybe you could pick up some books on the illness and some one people coping with loved ones with the illness. Then he can pick it up whenever he gets the time, and have it close at hand for quick reference (when the frustration begins and we all need some grounding).

I find journaling extremely useful as well. I'm not familiar with your coping techniques, but that's a big one of mine. Journaling allows me to vent, write about how the situation impacted me, feel sorry for myself in secret if I feel like it, and reassess all the details when I'm clear headed and done getting it out. That way you can talk about it later (instead of when mad) and empathize with what he goes through when you have an episode (that's what I call them:) ).

I'm certainly not a doctor, but hopefully some of these things will help you like they helped me. Just spend daily leisure time surfing around the site, I'm new too, but we can be new together. :)

Keeks