Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Want to change...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:51 pm 

Hey...My Name is Lincoln and I live in Jamaica and i have been diagnosed with BPD. I was originally diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder but my therapist said it was wrong. I am finally starting to take seriously this illness that has taken so much of my life. I came accross the board during a search for help. Really like what i'm seeing so far and would love to be apart of the path to happy, healthy living.

Post subject: Re: Want to change...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:25 pm 
Community Leader
Community Leader

:welcome

I hope you find it comfortable and useful here, I know I do. Many are initially diagnosed with bi-polar or sometimes with both bi-polar and BPD, you are not alone. This place is a great path to the healthy, happy living, IMO.

There is a list of Tools to your left that you might find helpful as you look around. Please feel free to post where you think you can help or need help yourself.

We're glad you are here!!

BRING IT ON!! -- personal mantra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:04 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Welcome to BPDR.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:22 am 

Thanks Guys...Could someone help to direct me to where i begin...do i just browse and read or are there structured grouops? Where do i go...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:17 am 
Community Leader
Community Leader

There aren't really structured groups as far as I know, except for the moderators and senior community leaders. You should be able to find them by checking with the member list at the top of the page (their names are at the top and usually in color). They can answer many questions (there should be a link by their names to PM them), but posting in public gets responses from the rest of us too. I have just posted in public, personally, and I'm still pretty new myself.

As far as where to begin...I would read over the Home Page in entirety just to get a feel for what this site is about if you have not done so already. On the home page, to the right there are inspirational stories and resources and all kinds of helpful stuff. On the left is that tools section I mentioned, which is kinda the foundation for many of us (not all, but many).

The Forum Page lists all the different forums where you may begin or add to existing threads and what kind of subject matter goes in each one. As someone new, you are not expected to know all this yet, so don't worry too much about doing things 'wrong'. Really, experience is your best teacher for this one, IMO. Of course, read the guidelines for each section, but......the community will let you know (gently) if something is not standard procedure. At least, that is my experience here.

I've also gained much info from reading the FAQ Section. Within that section is a link to FAQ's about the discussion board itself. Reading over this has answered many of my questions.

We all try to focus on ourselves and our own issues here. I feel we can only change ourselves, so by keeping the focus on what we feel/how we behave/what actions we take, we can find a way through this disorder.

Hope all of that helps (and doesn't overwhelm)! I tend to be long-winded. ;) Please always feel free to ask any questions--you are welcome to PM me if you need to ask in private.

Just have a good look around and dive in when you feel comfortable doing so. I look forward to reading your posts. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:39 am 

Welcome, empathic. I've found this board to be immensely helpful to me. Harmonium gave you some great pointers. There's a whole bunch of tools here that are very helpful..such as the five steps, four agreements and twisted thinking forums. I've found them especially helpful when I'm going through something and need some perspective. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:59 pm 

Harmonium wrote:
There aren't really structured groups as far as I know, except for the moderators and senior community leaders. You should be able to find them by checking with the member list at the top of the page (their names are at the top and usually in color). They can answer many questions (there should be a link by their names to PM them), but posting in public gets responses from the rest of us too. I have just posted in public, personally, and I'm still pretty new myself.

As far as where to begin...I would read over the Home Page in entirety just to get a feel for what this site is about if you have not done so already. On the home page, to the right there are inspirational stories and resources and all kinds of helpful stuff. On the left is that tools section I mentioned, which is kinda the foundation for many of us (not all, but many).

The Forum Page lists all the different forums where you may begin or add to existing threads and what kind of subject matter goes in each one. As someone new, you are not expected to know all this yet, so don't worry too much about doing things 'wrong'. Really, experience is your best teacher for this one, IMO. Of course, read the guidelines for each section, but......the community will let you know (gently) if something is not standard procedure. At least, that is my experience here.

I've also gained much info from reading the FAQ Section. Within that section is a link to FAQ's about the discussion board itself. Reading over this has answered many of my questions.

We all try to focus on ourselves and our own issues here. I feel we can only change ourselves, so by keeping the focus on what we feel/how we behave/what actions we take, we can find a way through this disorder.

Hope all of that helps (and doesn't overwhelm)! I tend to be long-winded. ;) Please always feel free to ask any questions--you are welcome to PM me if you need to ask in private.

Just have a good look around and dive in when you feel comfortable doing so. I look forward to reading your posts. :D

Thanks a lot. Your post really helped. I'm gonna read over the front page and focus on the tools. I'm gonna check out the FAQ's as well. thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:38 pm 
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are more than welcome, it's my pleasure. I look forward to your future posts! :)