Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newly Diagnosed
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:26 pm 

Hello all, just a brief introduction since I never know what to say in these things. I was just given my BPD diagnosis about 2 weeks ago. It was a relief that someone finally figured out what is at the root of all the issues I have. I just started DBT with my therapist this week.

I was misdiagnosed as bipolar in 2004 (after one 45-minute session) and I (mis)self-diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome in 2007. I trust my current diagnosis for many reasons, but mainly because I'd had 17 sessions with my therapist before he mentioned BPD. He took the time to learn about my issues before slapping a label on me.

I've had problems with depression and anxiety for as long as I can remember. Now that I'm learning about BPD, I'm starting to understand the other issues I've been dealing with. I hope to feel comfortable sharing more about my struggles as I get comfortable with my diagnosis and the community here.

Post subject: Re: Newly Diagnosed
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:25 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Hi RubyRose and welcome to BPDR. I hope you will feel comfortable in our community.

Misdiagnosis is a big problem. I personally (and I am not a mental health professional, but I'm an RN and have studied both medicine and psychology) think that a lot of people who are told they have bipolar disorder -- especially "rapid-cycling" bipolar or bipolar II -- really have BPD. It's the mood-swings that gets things confused. Everybody these days who has mood swings is told they are bipolar, even though bipolar *isn't* the only explanation for those mood swings. There are people who do have both, though, and a fair number of people do get some relief from the mood swings with drugs that are used for bipolar, so I'm not in any way saying that everybody who gets the bipolar diagnosis is on the wrong track, but there is confusion without question. Anyway, I'm glad you have a therapist you trust, and I hope that DBT is helpful to you.

Take some time to get comfortable here, and jump in any time you want to. And check out our "tools" in the box on the left -- a lot of them here find them helpful, in addition to DBT or any other kind of therapy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:58 pm 

Thanks for the welcome Sari :)

Yeah, I was told I had bipolar II because of the mood swings I had talked about during my evaluation. I knew nothing about personality disorders at the time. I embraced my bipolar diagnosis because I finally had something to explain what was 'wrong' with me, but it never quite felt right based on the research I did about it.

I'm happy to have finally found a forum for people who understand the issues I struggle with on a daily basis.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:14 pm 
Community Leader
Community Leader

:welcome

BRING IT ON!! -- personal mantra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:49 pm 

It's common for people to be misdiagnosed as having BPD instead of Bipolar, and vice versa. My boyfriend was told he had BPD originally; later he found out that what he had was really Bipolar.

Welcome, btw.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:47 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Welcome to the community. I look forward to getting to know you as you get more comfortable sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:37 am 

Thanks for the welcome everyone! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:23 pm 

Welcome RubyRose. Yep recently diagnosed as BiPolar2 but have like 7 or 8 BPD traits.Was abandoned by father a age 6 never got over it.I believe I am also "wired" for poor emotional regulation.I keep working on Radical Acceptance and mindfulness. Hang in there!