Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Happy to find a support Group
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:51 am 

Man ! Anyone one else here feel like they've Been Through the Mill?Alcohol Treatments/Depression Treatments/Anxiety Disorder Treatments.BiPolar2 Treatment ect ect ect.Over the last couple of yrs I have come to believe that my poor emotional regulation is at the root of all of these.Looking forward to reading the discussion here and learning.I am presently reading a book called Radical Acceptance - Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha.I am practicing hoping it will help.

Post subject: Re: Happy to find a support Group
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:21 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Hi and welcome!

Yeah, it can definitely be a long slog through different treatments. Here's my thoughts about emotional dysregulation.... some of us, maybe most or even all of us, might be more emotionally sensitive than most, and that is something we can't do anything about -- we were born that way -- but what we DO about our emotions is something we CAN do something about. We learned dysfunctional ways of dealing with emotion, but we can now learn to dump those old ways and learn new ones that are far healthier.

I hope you find some good support here. Check out our "Tools" in the box on the left for some techniques that a lot of us here use to straighten out our thinking and behavior.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:12 pm 

Sari, that was a very concise explanation - thank you! I sometimes find it difficult to verbalise how I feel about BPD. Last time somebody asked me what it meant, all I could think of was "very black and white thinking". :$

OP, I haven't been to any treatment centres. The only "treatment" I currently have is going to Recovery International meetings. It's a very positive, validating environment; it's helping me a great deal.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:14 pm 

In individual theraphy and Intensive Residential Treatment{IRT's here in Minnesota]I learned many Tools.Mostly I learned needing to make myself Obessesed with a hobby or a relationship did not work.I am finding a lot of help in the Radical Accettance Book.Thank you for the welcome.