Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie and just diagnosed
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:17 pm 

Hi all. Glad I found somewhere that I dont feel alone with BPD. This wont be long due to a broken arm and it is hard to type.

I was just diagnosed 2 weeks ago while recieving inpatient care for suicidal thoughts and what I thought to be Major Depression. Turns out it is BPD I have been suffering with for years. My therapist said I have a text book case. He also suspects Bi Polar.

I am the child of a alcoholic/paranoid schizophrenic mother and a deserter for a father....no wonder I ended up with something. Seems this disorder runs in families. 1 year ago my sister was also diagnosed with BPD after inpatient care for multiple suicide attempts. I have 2 daughters with Bi Polar but am wondering if it is also BPD. Time will tell.

I have completed steps 1,2, and 3 and am currently attending Emotions Anonymous meetings. I am determined to learn how to live with my emotional disorder and not let it rule me. I am taking 200mg of Lamictal but can tell I am ready for a stronger dose. Life has thrown a curve ball last week. Mom (alcoholic) has drank her brain to a point of dementia. She is only 56.

I am living in Ky but soon relocating to NC because of husbands work. I am grateful for a supportive husband although I dont deserve him. I have really put him through hell over the past 10 yrs, but now have the tools to help me prevent me for making the decisions I did. We work diligently toward improving our marriage.

ok, enough ratteling on about me...just glad to be here

Yvonne

"Just for Today" the motto in which I live by

Post subject: Re: Newbie and just diagnosed
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:21 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Hi yb and welcome! I'm glad you found us -

I also found out about BPD when I was hospitalized with depression, which I definitely have but isn't the only problem.

I'm glad you have a supportive husband and you both are committed to work on your relationship. It's tough, but it IS possible to overcome the difficulties that come with BPD.

I hope you find some good support here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:23 pm 

I used to attend a 12 Step group (Al-Anon) because of alcoholism in the family. I've never been to Emotions Anonymous, so I don't know anything about it. I currently go to Recovery International meetings. I find them a lot more positive than Al-Anon, which had too many moaners and whiners for me. I don't know about EA, but I hope it's not the case. You might be interested in Recovery; they place a lot of store in validation, both from oneself and others in the group.

I'd be wary of being diagnosed as Bipolar. My boyfriend has bipolar, and it's a lot different to BPD. We sometimes joke that a Borderline goes through in one day what a Bipolar goes through in one year! I know it's a generalisation, and also a little inacurate, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

Welcome, btw.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:38 am 

thanks for welcoming me. I will look into the recovery groups. Thanks for the info.

yvonne