Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Howdy Peeps - another newbie moves in on the block
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:06 pm 

Having trolled the web and looked at a lot of Mental health and BPD forums I was very surprised to find this one which appears to be focused on recovery and has lots of helpful tips and resources - I've already printed out the 5 steps and twisted thinking ones.

Anyway a little about me - I'm a 45 yr female who has felt like an alien most of my life until 4 years ago when my world imploded - again - and they finally dx me with BPD with schizotypal traits. When I researched what BPD was, I cried buckets and for the first time in my life I actually felt like I belonged to the human race. It's not me, I have a mental illness - that is experienced by other people on this planet. I am not alone.

Over the years I've tried numerous antidepressants and a couple of antipsychotics - which seem to work with me - but it is the terrible weight gaining Zyprexa.

I've also tried several alternative therapies - which didn't really work as was looking in the wrong area not knowing what was 'wrong' with me - and recently CBT. Parts of the CBT were useful but felt the therapist lacked the necessary skills to deal with a BPD client so not seeing anyone at the moment; and trying to deal with it by myself - hence finding this site seems like a God send!

Anyway look forward to meeting you all and working on getting my life back !!!

Bear

Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject: Re: Howdy Peeps - another newbie moves in on the block
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:18 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Welcome aboard, Bear - glad to have you here! :yellowave

For what it's worth, I too cried when I read what BPD was all about. That sense of relief of being able to point to something tangible was immense.

Post subject: Re: Howdy Peeps - another newbie moves in on the block
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:38 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Welcome! I can so relate to that feeling of, "You mean it's not just me?" I thought I was the only person in the world who thought and felt the things I did. Learning I had BPD was a huge relief. It gave me a goal. I try and use the tools. I take my meds regularly. I take Zyprexa, so I feel your pain. But it was the med that finally flipped a switch for me. So I put up with the weight thing.

So again, welcome! I hope you find what you're looking for and I hope we can help.