Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to the board
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:40 pm 

Hi all,

I'm new to the board and have found a lot of helpful information in the Stickies, and hope to learn a lot in the forums as well.

I was diagnosed while in a partial hospitalization program and received a lot of education about the disorder and DBT. I've read a lot of books and feel pretty well-versed in the disorder and am able to identify what's going on with myself, if it's BPD or bipolar. The difference is way more obvious than I thought it would be.

At the time of diagnosis, I met 7 of the 9 criteria, and I decided that I wanted to reduce my qualifying criteria as a way of achieving recovery. Some are long-term goals, and some are short-term goals. (For instance, I learned enough coping skills in the partial program to address the impulsive behaviors, so I can knock that one off. One down, 6 to go...)

I am on a wait-list to start a long-term DBT program, and I'm looking forward to that. I am working on the skills at home, but I hope the group setting will help make them more permanent and instinctual.

That's all I have for now. I hope to get to know you guys. And I'm happy to share my experience with others!

Rachel

Post subject: Re: New to the board
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:24 pm 

rdubs,
Hi, I am new here too. I like your organized approach to recovery and I feel like you have set realistic goals. I too would like to start the skills of DBT at home, what resourse are you using?

Your overall entry seemed hopeful and like you are just going to get down to business. It feels like you aren't taking this like it is the end of the world. Good for you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:27 pm 

I have Marsha Linehan's book at home, which is helpful guidance, and I saw a few other books at the bookstore that seem like they might be better for self-guidance at home. One of the hard things about DBT is that you really need another person involved because the concepts are so foreign to people like us.

I grew up with a BPD mother, and she expressed her fear and pain very outwardly, with the threats and vocalized stuff. It is no wonder that I developed the same disorder, but I have been so afraid of becoming just like her that I try not to express anything at all. So it took a while to get diagnosed, because I present very differently than she does, but the fears and pain and all that are the same on the inside.

Just providing further evidence how complex and potentially damaging the disorder can be.

What sets me apart is my acceptance that my coping skills suck and need to be adjusted. And I am seeking out help. I am finding trained professionals to help me, and I like it when they talk to each other. I went into a partial hospitalization program to get some intense help when I was in a really bad place. And I am med-compliant.

I refuse to stand in my own way.

When I was in the hospital, they explained BPD in a way that made sense to me, and it took away all the bad feelings I had already attached to it. They call it a "good prognosis diagnosis" because there's good evidence that if we are open to change and active participants in our own recovery, it's very possible.

I am not my mother, simply because I am willing to change.

Good luck with your own journey!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:27 pm 
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is an on-line DBT-group with Yahoo. I think you can just Google the words DBT and Yahoo and find it. One of our former members was very impressed with this group, but I have not tried it personally.

Just thought that might help!

Oh, and :welcome I'm glad you are here!!

BRING IT ON!! -- personal mantra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:53 am 

welcome! i am new here too and this site is helpful and lots of supportive folks here... : )
i have been reading http://www.bpdrecovery.com/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=visit&lid=73 and its really eye opening and I am very very happy this information exists. I feel some glimmer of hope since ive started reading.

Glad you're here!

(quotes from movie "Revolver")