Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello. New guy here...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:11 am 

My name is Brian and I was diagnosed with BPD over a year ago though I have had extreme symptoms for almost as long as I can remember. I am currently taking Trileptal @ 1800 mg a day and am about to undergo my first ROBT session. I have never done any CBT or DBT and after reading about ROBT it sounds promising. I'm a little funny about the whole "focus on the now" aspect about it since I believe the core issue of my problems is obviously something in my past. Plus I don't know if my LPC understands the severity of this illness.

I am married to a loving woman who spends her life trying to understand and help me get through life despite how I get as far as my attitude a lot of the times. I have 2 sons and 2 stepdaughters whome I care for deeply.

I hope to meet other people who have BPD (preferably males) so I can develop a support system and have others to talk to about this so my wife and I can understand every aspect of BPD that we can't find online. Actually talking to others with the same problem can be a lot more in depth than actually knowing all the study material. Hope to hear from you soon!

Post subject: Re: Hello. New guy here...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:02 pm 
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi Brian and WELCOME to BPDR!! :biggrin

I don't know much about ROBT, but from what I've read it's a subset of CBT and I'm a HUGE proponant of that. I hear what you are saying about how your problems are caused by something in your past....... but I feel that's just it. Those problems are in the past-- it's how you handle your emotions and thoughts in the NOW that can allow you to move forward with a happy, healthy life. My core issues were also a result of my past, but by learning that those issues were not indeed happening in the Now, I was able to move forward.

As for your LPC understanding the severity of your issues.....well, the only way they can, no matter the training they have undergone, is for you to impeccably state them to him/her. By being honest with yourself and your T in your sessions, I believe the severity of your issues will come across. For me it's not about the 'severity of my illness' in terms of 'what a person with BPD should be like' but rather a very individual assessment of MY issues. Though my diagnosis is MDD and BPD with a little GAD thrown in, it wasn't until I began being honest with my T about the particulars of my personal issues that he was able to help me. In other words, I don't think it's so important for a T to understand BPD or any other label, but rather I think it's important that they understand my own struggles.

We do have many males on this site, but probably more females. For me, I learn equally from both and I hope that you will be able to as well. There is a tool section on the upper left of the screen (if it's working; we are having site troubles atm!) that has been very valuable to my own recovery process. These tools have helped me learn to speak and act with integrity and have shown me where my thinking was perhaps a bit twisted and allowed me tools to untwist. I strongly recommend them!

Well, I just wanted to welcome you to this site. I hope you find what you are looking for here and are able to find your way towards that happy, healthy life we are all seeking. I look forward to hearing from you again!

BRING IT ON!! -- personal mantra

Post subject: Re: Hello. New guy here...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:22 am 

welcome brian,

glad that you are here seeking ways to understand and help yourself.

i do not have bpd but my 13 yr. old daughter does. i have gotten a great deal of information, tools, and support on the BPD Central website. it is designed for people who have loved ones in their lives with bpd. i still go to this site daily. i am on this site to learn more now that i have reached a point in my personal journey where BPD Central cannot go; the inner thoughts of a person with the disorder. i am hoping for a deeper level of understanding to improve my relationship with my daughter and hopefully figure out how to help her better meet her needs in healthier ways.

do you think your wife might like to visit BPD Central? perhaps you could discuss it with her.

you are very lucky to have a wife who loves you and supports you so much.

best wishes to you!

lbjnltx