Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new to this
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:20 pm 

Been wondering why I act the way I do, and I stumbled on the criteria for BPD. I've 8 of the 9 symptoms, been reading up on it all day yesterday. While I understand that this does not mean I have BPD, and I need to see a shrink (making an appointment Monday, and currently seeing a therapist), it makes so much sense. Have been diagnosed when I was 19 (am 41 now) with major depression, and a few years ago, Panic Disorder. Am currently taking Zoloft.

I think this is all so awful right now as I am going through (another) painful breakup. I will read others posts and hope it helps.

BTW, the links on the tools bar to the left don't work for me.

~R

Post subject: Re: new to this
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:41 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Hi bloodlizard, and welcome to the board. I'm glad you found us. And it sounds like you're moving in the right direction with making an appointment with a psychiatrist. Having an official diagnosis doesn't really solve anything by itself, but then again, once you know what the problem is you can start to work out strategies for getting better. Like you, I had major depression issues from my teens, and I didn't get the BPD diagnosis until I was 50, which was a long time to learn how to be dysfunctional. Unfortunately there isn't a pill you can take that will directly treat the BPD, but since you're already seeing a therapist, hopefully you can start to address the new diagnosis fairly quickly. And even if the shrink disagrees that BPD is a problem for you, you can still use what you've read about it and what you've identified as criteria that apply to you as a platform for work with your T. For instance, if "fear of abandonment" is something that you think is a major trigger for you, then you can address that in therapy even if you don't officially have BPD.

I'm sorry about the links to the tools -- at the moment our main site is down, and that's where all the links go to. I hope it will be back up soon, but in the meantime hopefully you can get a fair idea of what they're about by reading in the different forums. I'm going to see if I can find some of the stuff elsewhere and post it somewhere here until the links get restored.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:22 pm 

Thank you so much for the welcome. While this all scares me, it also helps to know that I am not the only one who goes through this stuff.

Are there any Buddhists on here? I am, and am interested in how others may have integrated their practice with their diagnosis.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:48 am 

:welcome

I had some of the tools saved on my computer, and posted them in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11726
(You'll have to scroll down a bit to find them.)

Hope that helps. :)

Lirael

"All the world is full of suffering. It is also full of overcoming." - Helen Keller

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:46 am 

Awesome. Have printed them out. The "thinking in shades of grey" is something I have always been unable to do in particular. I have always been an all-or-nothing sort of woman. I'm not sure I know how to be or think or do anything but black and white. Will try this today--will make it my project.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:16 am 

As an aside, I found this link regarding not stigmatizing a diagnosis:

http://www.guidetopsychology.com/diagnos.htm

At the bottom it says, "
Quote:
The real issue in regard to healing is not the diagnosis but the ability to retire the diagnosis for the sake of health.

So ask yourself, “What is more important? Having the diagnosis, or being free of it?”

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:25 pm 

Thanks for posting the tools. I'm new here too and was kinda lost without the links.