Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi From Australia
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:20 am 

Hi,

I'm a 37 year old male from Melbourne Australia. I've been working on my depression for the last 20 years only to find out about a year ago that I have BPD. It was such a relief to find out why nothing I tried in the past worked.

I'm working really hard on my DBT course and my progress is going ahead in leaps and bounds. Still have work to do but have hope of a normal life for the first time in my adult life.

Feel free to contact me.

MJ

Post subject: Re: Hi From Australia
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:30 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Hi Tronic and welcome! I'm glad you're making progress with DBT. Nice to think about a life without chaos, isn't it?

It's kinda quiet around here at the moment, but make yourself at home. If you have any questions, ask away.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:08 pm 

Hi Sari,

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering if you could help? I've been told at the DBT centre that my particular form of BPD is quite mild. That said I'm well aware I have issues I need to continue work on. I think finally being diagnosed marked a huge turning point in my life. Since then, things seem to have finally started to come together. Although the progress has been painfully slow.

Much of the literature I've read relates to severe BPD sufferers. I was wondering if there are any particular sites for BPs who have progressed, some or most of the way towards normality. I ask this because I have spent the last few years in therapy and interestingly, many of the parts of myself I chose to work on, were those covered in the DBT therapy (self esteem, assertiveness, non-judgment of myself and others & behaviour modification).

I feel I'm at a crossroads of sorts, not where I was and not where I want to be. It's both exiting a terrifying at the same time.

Thanks in advance, MJ

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:07 pm 

I've been meaning to pm you..will get to it, today.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:05 am 

:welcome

This site is all about recovery and there are lots of people here who have progressed or even fully recovered. I know the board is a bit quiet at the moment, but keep posting and you'll get to know us. ;)

I have recurrent depression with BPD traits, so my 'BPD' is quite mild too. What I've found is I can't totally relate to all the stuff that's written about BPD, but I still find most self-help resources for BPD (this site, DBT, etc) incredibly helpful.

Looking forwards to getting to know you,

Lirael

"All the world is full of suffering. It is also full of overcoming." - Helen Keller

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:34 am 

Thank you to all of you for your replies.

MJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:53 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

First off, welcome!

I think some folks would have classified my case as mild whereas those who were on the receiving end of my borderline rages & manipulations may have said otherwise. I would like to say that I'm "in the normal zone" if such a thing exists. I still get angry, upset & annoyed at some things but it's way less intense and passes much more quickly than it did in the past. I've held a job with the same company for nearly 7 years - which is a world record for me. I'm doing pretty well and have been out of therapy for years now, it's kind of nice.

In terms of what you're looking for - a site that's got mostly recovered folks - I think this is probably as close as you'll get. The community leaders around here are essentially those recovered folks (or those who've been in relationships with those who've had BPD) so it's a fairly healthy group in that regard. Were you looking for a support group for maintaining normalcy or something similar? (I'm not really clear on what you're aiming for, I'm afraid.)