Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm new
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:58 pm 

Hi

I am so excited to have found this!! I have been looking for ages for something to help.

I was almost giving up on leading a more "normal" life.

Fiddlehead

Post subject: Re: I'm new
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:13 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Hi fiddlehead, and welcome!

It's a bit quiet around here right now, but there's a lot of good information buried in the various threads, so if I were you I'd just dig in and start reading. But feel free to make comments or ask questions if you have them. And check out our Tools, in the box on the left -- they're really helpful.

Glad you found us!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:30 pm 

Thanks!!

I'm a bit worried, as I had to leave my job, and I'm scared to go back into that high-stress environment again. It has just occurred to me that perhaps I shouldn't retreat completely, and maybe these tools will help me stay in stressful environments (rather than just give up working in them, which I was planning).

Also, I am not 100% sure what radical acceptance is, as I haven't found a definition yet - but I will search around....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:56 pm 
Community Leader
Community Leader

First off, Welcome to BPDR!! :biggrin

Here is a link to a site that has a great bit of info on Radical Acceptance-- an incredibly useful tool! I think of it as just not denying the reality of a situation and not judging it as good or bad either. Accepting the reality not only on an intellectual level, but on emotional and physical levels also. It is only after I RA a situation that I can really make an informed choice on how I want to do something about the situation. It keeps me from continuing that maladaptive coping cycle. I hope that makes sense.....I know it will after you read some of that link. RA can be one of the more difficult tools for some of us, but man oh man is it fantastic when it does finally 'click' and I'm able to RA any and all (or maybe most) situations easily. I can then move forward rather than staying stuck in my dysfunction, which is what I most like about it.

Some parts of our site are down for a bit-- technical difficulties-- but they will be back up and running fully again soon.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :biggrin

BRING IT ON!! -- personal mantra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:35 pm 

OMG! I think that's it! What I need!

It's hell, staying in a situation sometimes, I normally run! I made enormous progress but it really is hell, isn't it.

However, only if we accept what's real, where we are now, can we move on. It's linked to mindfulness, too...

Thanks, this is powerful but could be "it" - not easy, but the only sensible way to go.