Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just diagnosed
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:46 pm 

Hello, I am new to this whole thing. I have been struggling for years, and diagnosed before with ADD and OCD, but reading about BPD now that I have that diagnoses as well has helped fill in the emotional pieces. I see me in so much of what I read, but I am a little overwhelmed and scared. I want to get better, I have been trying for years, but nothing seems to last. Knowing what it is helps some, but I don't know where to start, or how I am going to pay for all this, I am living pay check to pay check as it is! I do have faith in God and that has saved me. I know I would not be alive today if not for that. Not sure what else to say... just want to talk to other people who know how this feels...

Post subject: Re: Just diagnosed
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:46 pm 

hello, probably one of the senior members will write to you soon. im fairly new too. theres lots of interesting stuff on this site.

do you know, spirituality has changed my life around. im NOT a heavy religious type - i had a few experiences which are so subtle that i wouldnt know how to explain them, so i dont - and i dont subscribe to a particular religion - but it helped me to realise that i am meant to exist, meant to get better, and that i have responsibilities. responsibilities to put one foot in front of the other, to try to keep stable, to be compassionate rather than selfish etc.

it seems that everyone here has that attitude!! the most sensible bunch i came across! i am not really sure what im doing next, but i do want to reach out to people who are searching too, help if i can, etc!! so good luck and welcome!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:14 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Hi fearless, and welcome! And thanks, fiddlehead, for jumping in to say 'hi' too. I'm glad you're both here, and hope you'll find some good information and help.

The initial diagnosis of BPD -- or self-realization that you might be dealing with it -- can be pretty overwhelming, but try not to panic. It IS possible to make progress and learn to live a happy, healthy life. Working with a therapist is usually best, but if it's not possible, don't despair. Contact an organization like NAMI to see if there are any ways to access treatment that is affordable for you, even if it's only once a month or something. And start reading -- here, and if you can get hold of some books on BPD, read them too. If your public library doesn't have any (or can't obtain them through an interlibrary loan), then check out various used-book outlets and see if you can find cheap copies.

Our "Tools" (in the box on the left) are a great way to get started -- we're not mental health professionals and so we have to make clear that we're not proposing an actual treatment plan, but a lot of us have found them helpful in terms of straightening out our thinking and behavior.

If you have any questions or comments, jump right in. It's pretty slow around here at the moment, but one of us will be along eventually.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:27 am 

Thanks to both of you for welcoming me. I haven't been on much because, Overwhelming is a good word. I have been in and out of counseling so much, and it is nice to have a reason why nothing has really helped me very much so far. It also gives me hope, that maybe there is something I haven't done a road I haven't been down already, that recovery is possible. I am still processing. I have been reading a lot, and it all fits like the missing puzzle piece. I just don't know where to go from here. Still waiting to see a therapist. I will go back to the Psychiatrist first. Thank you again for your reply's I will post more when I have more clear thoughts. - Fearless

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:10 pm 

Hi Fearless
I'm not working with a therapist right now but I want to be. In the meantime, I've found some of the resources on the dbtself help website (I think the link is posted here under "resources") to be enormously helpful. I printed up the diary cards, and every night before I go to bed I check off if I used any dbt skills during the day. It helps me keep the skills in my mind, and to think about how they apply to my daily life and thought patterns (and oh boy, do they...)

Good luck with everything. This seems like a good place to be. I feel reassured knowing it's here. :)