Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thank you for building this place
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:15 pm 

I am nervous, but excited to meet you all. My therapist never told me my dx, but I know that I qualify for this community. I've been on anti-depressants for years, in various 12-Step programs for substance abuse, co-dependency, love addiction. I'm clean and sober and in a satisfying relationship of 11 years with a very understanding partner. I'm a gay woman, 57 yo and live in Northern California.

My partner and I retired in 2005, so I no longer endure the living hell of job stress. I have zero tolerance for stress, and am extremely quick to react to perceived slights. My poor Helen suffers my anger, which I suppress for as long as I am able until I explode.

I've had therapy, I know that I was emotionally neglected. My mother felt that expresssions of vulnerability were expressions of weakness, which she abhorred. Before Helen, I had many many relationships of short duration that were the source of much pain. I also drank alcoholically.

I am extremely isolated now, because I can't bear normal work stresses. I would like to interact with others more, even in a volunteer position, but I am too sensitive to normal criticism and conflict.

I hope to find some tools to help me recover. Thanks for listening.

Post subject: Re: Thank you for building this place
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:51 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

I hope you've been finding some good stuff on this site. I know it helped me tremendously when I was first embarking on recovery. Heck, it still helps me!

Trin