Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trying bit by bit
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:04 pm 

Hi,
I was diagnosed in 2006 with BPD, but I've been suffering for a long time. I have been trying to get better and free of mental illness since I was 15. I'm 26 years old now. I feel like it's a losing battle at times. This year alone I have been in the psych ward 3 times and I'm sick of it. I participate in individual and group therapy. I am trying to get on my feet, but I need more support.
Can you help me?

Post subject: Re: trying bit by bit
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:39 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Hi louisaluccile :)
I'm new here in this board. Hugs from across the sea :)
I don't really understand how you really feel, but it must have been a tough and difficult journey for you so far...
Just curious, what kind of support are you referring to? Do you think you can name them specifically? I.e: emotional support, someone to just encourage you, practical support like advice, etc etc.
As for me, I have just started seeing a psychiatrist after my mentor pointed out to me that I could have BPD. And just two weeks ago, I was feeling really down and lonely. Lonely on this journey as in my country, seeing a psychiatrist is not something you would tell people (you would get 'weird' looks from people). So finding this site was great for me, knowing that I could get some encouragement here.
Let's take it one step at a time :) You, and me.
Like the last two days, I started NAMING my feelings. Learning to put a name to my feelings. It's one lil step forward for me, as my usual way is just to feel very down and to spiral down.

Hugs again to you :) Cheers to you for being able to voice out and share where you are in this journey :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:21 pm 
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi louisaluccile,

I like meremortal's reply to your post, but I wanted to add my own.
Quote:
I am trying to get on my feet, but I need more support.
Can you help me?

Yes and No. BPDR can show you tools (tool section on your left is priceless!) and tricks and ways to get through things, but the work has to be done by you. We can offer our own ways of handling tough situations-- what worked and what didn't work for us (but as you are individual, it may be different for you). We can be here for moral, emotional and otherwise support.......but really, recovery is about learning how to help yourself. We can help you learn how to do that. All you really need in the begining is a willingness to try. It's not easy-- I'm not gonna lie to you-- but the support around here is really helpful. And recovery can be achieved.

Is there something specific that you need support with going on right now?

BRING IT ON!! -- personal mantra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:20 am 

Thank you for your feedback. The kind of support I'm looking for is a little bit of advice and some emotional support for those times when I'm feeling stuck and my therapy appointment is 3 days away. Also, just writing about some of it helps me to get it out and feel a little better and not so alone. Meremortal we can definitely keep talking throughout our good and not so good times. It's nice to have a buddy in this kind of situation where you feel so alone at times.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I will definitely look at the tool section and try to use it to help me in my journey. ;)

Your buddy,
Louisalucille

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:41 am 
Community Member
Community Member

louisalucille wrote:
Thank you for your feedback. The kind of support I'm looking for is a little bit of advice and some emotional support for those times when I'm feeling stuck and my therapy appointment is 3 days away. Also, just writing about some of it helps me to get it out and feel a little better and not so alone. Meremortal we can definitely keep talking throughout our good and not so good times. It's nice to have a buddy in this kind of situation where you feel so alone at times.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I will definitely look at the tool section and try to use it to help me in my journey. ;)

Your buddy,
Louisalucille

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:52 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Dear Louisalucille
I apologize for requoting you without any replies. There was a problem with my browser.

louisalucille wrote:
Also, just writing about some of it helps me to get it out and feel a little better and not so alone.

I so agree with you. Stumbling upon this site was really a God-answered prayer for me! At the very least, I felt very comforted to know that I am NOT the only one I know who is 'suffering on the inside'. Plus, the bonus was also to know that there are REAL people who have recovered or have overcame bpd to have healthy, happy lives!

I have started using the tools a little bit. So far quite useful :) But am still getting myself acquainted with them :) Another thing I found helpful was browsing around the forum and reading others' posts and the replies to the posts. I am learning new things. Like today, I learnt about RA - Radical Acceptance - which is something I think I really need right now! :)

All the best for your therapy. My therapy session's in two days' time - it's my fifth. My psychiatrist has not told me any diagnosis, but I think he has his own reasons for that. But the previous four therapy sessions have helped me cope with daily living much better :)

One thing I realise is that at the end of the day, the MOST important thing is the 'internal work' that we do with ourselves. This, supported by therapy sessions, the input from the tools on this site, and the great people on this forum are to assist and to support us. But the HARD work has to be done by OUR OWN SELVES. For me, it's kinda like the sucky part, sometimes it feels overwhelming.

Cheers! Do remember that we are not alone. There are many people here!