Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:18 pm 

Hey, everybody!

I just wanted to pop in and say hello ... it's been years! I don't honestly remember my old username, but I did want to come share what I've been up to as of late. I was watching "Teen Mom", the season finale with Dr. Drew ... and oddly enough, her behavior came across to me as extremely borderline. I have no idea if this is true. I am NOT a doctor. However, it was enough to remind me of this site!

I hope everyone's well! I have no idea who's still visiting this board from years past ... I certainly don't recognize everyone's names ... perhaps no old-timers are around!!

Anyway, I hope everyone's doing fantastically. These days, I no longer have the diagnosis of BPD. I actually don't have any diagnosis now!! OMG, right? I never thought that would happen! I no longer take medication of any kind.

Life's not perfect, by any means ... but ... people ... feelings ... places ... things .... they aren't black and white anymore! I no longer categorize life and its many facets in such simplistic terms. Humans are multi-dimensional ... me, included!

I'm now a working professional in my field. I graduated college with honors, and have had a successful, steady relationship without drama for the past two years.

Life is good!!!

Recovery from BPD is possible ... not easy, by any means, but certainly possible!!

There are good days, okay days, unthought-of days, somewhat crappy days, bad days (which can be laughed about at times) ... all kinds of days!

Enjoy the rainbow of life ... it's good!!!

Best to all. Don't ever lose hope! If in doubt, keep going forward, planning and working for better things.

Love,
Sunflower

Post subject: Re: Hi!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:56 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Welcome back, Sunflower! Thanks for sharing the positivity - that's awesome to hear.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:03 pm 

Sunflower,

Yay for you!!!!

Sunflower, Would you be willing to share some more about your recovery? What do you think was key in your recovery? Like the top couple of things. ?? I'm also curious to know how long you were in therapy or treatment before you became recovered.

Congratulations!!!!!

-Liz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:37 pm 

Hey, Liz!

I don't think I have answers that apply to everybody ... I think everybody's different. I also don't think I'm finished growing.

I (and professionals) came to the conclusion I was "better" (no longer BPD) when I was happy a lot more often than I was not!

Also, that I caused them less heartache than I did.

Let's face it, the medical community plays a huge part in this diagnosis.

Anyway, I know that these things contributed to the reduction (and eventual eradication) of my BPD symptoms. All of them took discipline and were hard!

1. Regular yoga practice
2. Quitting smoking - NOT EVEN ONE CIGARETTE in almost 2 years!
3. Developing patience (achieved primarily thru yoga) so that I could "sit with my emotions" before acting impulsively
4. Becoming mindful of my emotions, others' emotions, and how they were similar/different
5. Practicing acceptance of myself and others

It took a lot of time and practice! It's like a skill. I have to keep practicing everyday or I slip back into old ways!

Good luck with you!

All the best,
Sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:50 pm 

Oooooh ... wanted to clarify.

For too many years, acceptance and resignation meant the same thing to me.

I finally learned to distinguish between the two, and it has meant everything to my recovery.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:18 am 

[quote="Sunflower"]
I (and professionals) came to the conclusion I was "better" (no longer BPD) when I was happy a lot more often than I was not!

Sunflower[/quote]

Hi Sunflower,

This sentence moved me.

"for many years, acceptance and resignation meant the same thing to me"

do you mean it in the sense that to accept is to "live with"
and to resign is to "no longer care"?

perhaps acceptance brings improvement and resignation brings depression?

can you tell more of that distinguishing?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:35 am 

I think you will understand when you know. Just continue to think. I don't like to preach.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:40 am 
Community Member
Community Member

sunflower: thank you so much for dropping by here. It gave many of us hope to hear from someone who has recovered from bpd.

we will continue to work at our recovery so that one day, one day, we'll be like you.

right everyone????? :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:44 am 
Community Member
Community Member

recoveryquest wrote:

do you mean it in the sense that to accept is to "live with"
and to resign is to "no longer care"?

perhaps acceptance brings improvement and resignation brings depression?

I think I'm beginning to understand the difference between acceptance and resignation, correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree with you, acceptance brings improvement and resignation brings depression.

Because acceptance means accepting that I have this disorder called BPD, accepting that this is a reality and not denying it.

But resignation is a negative acceptance, if i may say it that way, in the sense that you are resigned to think that that's the end of everything and there is no hope.

Having said that, I think I need to move OUT of resignation into acceptance!!! No wonder I feel low whenever I think of the fact that I am a person living with BPD!