Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can't hide from this anymore...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:33 am 

Hello everyone,
Well I am a SAHM mum of 3 young children am turning 27 in a few weeks, and I am no where near the person I thought I would be.

I had a total breakdown at 18 years old - my biological dad hadn't been around for years (I had him on a pedestal even though he beat my mum, abandoned us... meeting him in real life stopped me from keeping him on that pedestal). My mum raised us by herself as a SAHM, and there were 6 of us children in total - I have three sisters and two brothers. I am the second born child, and I have always felt that I didn't trust my mum, and that I was the child that didn't fit, that wasn't important or as good or as loved at the other children - though I tried my best to be good.

I grew up with a WAY over developed sense of right and wrong, as well as an above average academic intelligence - black and white thinking drove me up the wall because I had (and still have) trouble reconciling the fact that there is grey areas... even typing that makes me uncomfortable, just thinking about there being grey areas in life - to accept there being grey areas, to me feels like I am saying it is ok to do something wrong, or to do something in a half-hearted way instead of how it is supposed to be done... I have always struggled with that black and white thinking. I also struggle a lot with putting people on a pedestal, and then when I find out that they are not perfect, then it seems that nothing they do is right to me any more... worse still is that I can flip flop from one to another (idealising/hating someone) very quickly.

I also now have a chronic back pain issue and am taking a lot of strong pain killers as well as antidepressents. I am struggling to get back to some sense of a normal life after spending the last two years bedridden, on a walking frame, or on crutches, and hardly doing what I used to. I struggle with the unfairness of having to live in physical pain every single day. I can see that I have come a long way because I am able to walk unassisted now, but bringing back together the pieces of my life is proving difficult... I am also trying to reconcile with my children's father who has been my partner on and off for the last 8 years - you can imagine the ups and downs we have gone through.

I was dignosed with BPD in 2009 while I was in hospital with my back injury - the diagnosis was hidden from me for a long time. I couldn't accept that I had anything other than chronic depression and anxiety. However I am feeling the worst I have for a long time, doing the least possible - and I knew I should look at BPD in case it IS what I have and I could find out something to help me get to some type or normalcy... for my kids, for my relationship to work out with my partner, and so I don't feel like a ghost any more.

When I started reading about BPD, I realised that the dx was spot on. Now I am wanting to deal with this the best way possible, I just don't feel safe revealing that I think that the BPD dx was right to anyone as yet - guess that is part of the whole abandonment thing...

Anyways, I better stop writing, otherwise it will go from being a post, to becoming a 'novel' ;) Best wishes and blessings to you all :D

Post subject: Re: Can't hide from this anymore...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:01 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

what do you mean by SAHM?

Welcome onboard :)

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

I guess you have your focus right - your three kids and your current relationship with your partner - one of the main reasons why you should work on your recovery :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:41 am 

Thanks for the welcome :biggrin

SAHM stands for Stay at Home Mum - sorry I was up late writing that and should have explained it better, lol.

I do think it is a good thing that I have my partner and children to motivate me to learn how to cope better... I thank God that my partner and I are together again to make this family work - I have heard of peoples partners being told that the best thing to do after their BPD partners diagnosis, is to leave... For me, my motivation is my partner and the family we have together, and if he left at this point - I know I would not be able to cope well.

I hope that one day with work, I will want to be healthy for myself too :thumbsup

Best wishes and blessings to all

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:55 am 

Welcome! There are lots of great resources here that can help you- I hope that your journey to a better, richer life can begin now. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:11 am 

Hello.
I'm a BPD sufferer. I was also coping pretty good until I developed a very painful hernia and underwent surgery. After surgery, I was in what I can only describe as irritating pain & felt I would never get better. I'm finally getting better & it has to do with my diet. I am very conscious of what I eat, lots of greens, lots & lots of protein, and purified fish oil have helped restore my health. It didn't happen overnight. I didn't even notice any difference until 4 months later.
I also had to decrease caffeine and give up alcohol. I just wanted to suggest this because mindfulness is very important in recovery & I've discovered tuning into my body has proved beneficial.
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:42 pm 

I can really relate to the idealizing and devaluing cycle. I have been keeping a journal and I do it a lot. The closer I am to someone the more intense my devaluing of them becomes when they do not respond the way that I want them to. It is really confusing. I am grateful for the amount of restraint that I do have when it comes to acting out. God only knows the damage that I would do to my relationships if I actually said some of the things that I think and feel instead of journaling them and talking them over with a life coach or therapist.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:24 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Angie,

With three young kids at home, I imagine your days are pretty full but I hope to see you around BPDR more regularly. There's a lot of good stuff here and great folks. Please try to make your own recovery a priority throughout your hectic schedule. As the old saying goes, "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!" You deserve it.