Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Working to get better
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:10 pm 

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with BPD almost a year ago, and it was like a light clicking on. Reading the DSM descriptions and the diagnostic criteria was like reading a scarily accurate horoscope or something. I know a lot of people don't want the diagnosis, but I was relieved to finally know what was going on.

I was also diagnosed with bipolar at the same time, but that's really an aside. Bipolar affects me at times, but usually it doesn't -- it's here and gone, you know? Borderline is with me all the time.

When I was diagnosed, I was in a partial hospitalization/intensive day program type thing, and we did a lot of CBT. It was a life-changing experience. Ever since then, I've used CBT books and also the Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook. I've read that workbook thirty times at least.

I have a daughter and a husband I love, and for their sakes I have tried my hardest to change. I've managed to cut down on a lot of my bpd behaviors (though I still have a lot of the feelings), though sometimes I still mess up. I sometimes self-harm, and I always feel so ashamed afterward, but I try to avoid the shame because that doesn't do anything to help -- it just makes me more unstable.

Anyway, here I am. Working hard to get better.

Post subject: Re: Working to get better
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:50 pm 

I too was relieved when I first learned that I was suffering from BPD... just found out really a few weeks ago but seriously I get the analogy of it like a light clicking on...it is a relief to know what you are up against. Welcome to the site...I just recently joined myself... What workbooks do you use? I am seeing my therapist on Tuesday to figure out treatment options...she is a big fan of DBT so I am sure I will be going that route...she studied under Marsha Linehan so that is great. Keep up the hard work!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:23 am 

The hospital I did the day program at said they were doing CBT, but they also included some things from DBT, which is probably part of why it worked so well for me. Unfortunately I haven't been able to participate in DBT since then for insurance reasons.

The workbook I've been using, though, helps fill in that gap (as much as a workbook can, I mean). It's called the Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook. I also use "The Feeling Good Handbook" which is about CBT. It's not a workbook, but it does have exercises. I would say both are necessary for me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:56 am 

Hello. I too feel great relief now that I've found out about BPD. It's something I had for over 20 years & now properly diagnosed believe I can successfully recover with time. More importantly I finally believe in myself.
The most difficult thing I'm finding to deal with is my newly formed friendships. I have to respect that some people are very frightened by me now (as they unfortunately witnessed a public meltdown & were traumatized by it.) They are unable to cope with a friendship that may at times get a little volatile due to my illness. It takes a very strong individual to befriend someone with BPD and there are people out there who can. It is important for me to tap into basic empathy in order to deal with this rejection from new friends without making it into a negative. I need to accept that not everyone can have empathy for BPD sufferers.