Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I don't know where to begin. New.
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:31 pm 

I'm Mish. I was diagnosed with BPD when I was a freshman in highschool. The psychologist that first diagnosed me followed it by telling me there was nothing more she could do for me. I am now an almost sophmore in college, and just now starting therapy. It took 6 suicide attempts, 6 stays in behavioral health facilities, and heavy drug abuse ending in shooting heroin for my cry for help to finally be heard.
Ontop of the BPD I also have PTSD. I've been through some interesting experiences in my life, everything from abuse (emotional, physical and sexual), kidnapping, stalking, substance abuse, etc, but I've also made some interesting decisions, including (but not limited to) joining a traveling carnival, being homeless, the list continues.
I'm telling you this, not to start a pissing contest, but as an introduction I would already like to make it known that though I may not be able to empathize or understand your unique situation, I assure I've been through something similar. That being said, I'm a strong believer in the idea of treating others the way you wish to treated. If you are here for me, I will be here for you.
I cannot always promise it will be a good day for me. Though I can be the most optomistic, sunny, and carefree person you've ever met, I can also me the most pessimistic, manipulative, and violent. I am a walking contradiction. But with this crippling disorder I have been blessed with a brilliant mind, capable of the impossible. Never underestimate me. I am notorious for proving people wrong.

Post subject: Re: I don't know where to begin. New.
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:35 pm 
Hi Mish-

:welcome

In some areas of the world I note that certain treatments are not available(like DBT, etc). It's also unfortunate that there are some mental health professionals don't believe in recovery from certain personality disorders, but I find that they are far less prevalent than they used to be.

At any rate, there are some of us here who still manage and may have our struggles, but no longer meet the diagnostic criteria. So yes, recovery is possible(although I tend to define it as management vs. a cure, like "Oh, my leg is broken. Let me throw this cast on, yep, good as new") and I'm glad that you're working with someone now. Are you in any specific therapy program?

In conjunction to what you're working on, I would suggest looking at these tools on the left, like The Five Steps and so on. They're really helpful in learning to make wise minded choices and decisions, as well as addressing other self and interpersonal situations.

Looking forward to hearing more about you. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:30 pm 

Welcome. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:22 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Hi Mish! (Are you really in Thailand?! How exciting! We've been considering a trip to Thailand for vacation next year.)

Anyway, welcome to BPDR. This is a great place with some wonderful people dedicated to recovery from Borderline. It can be done and you're already on your way. Glad to have you here!