Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi, everyone.
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:47 pm 

Hello, everyone. My name is Dan. It took some time & courage to finally say something here. I've not been diagnosed with BPD but am pretty sure it's what I have. I know I'm not supposed to self-diagnose but it's hard not to make the connection between BPD symptoms & my own. Though I would like some help if possible. How can I bring up BPD without making it sound like I'm pushing towards that conclusion to the counselor?

Thanks in advance for your help & advice. And again hello everyone.

Post subject: Re: Hi, everyone.
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:04 pm 
Hi Dan-

:welcome

How long have you been in therapy, Dan? For what it's worth, personality disorders either go un or misdiagnosed, and remember it's not only the symptoms your therapist is 'matching up', but also the length, severity, if they were present in adolescence, so on and so forth. There's an entirely different set of diagnostic criteria to diagnose a personality disorder, along with a specific one.

What do you think about stating it as you have here? With the plethora of information available on the internet, I'm certain that many other people have gone to their doctors, pdocs, and therapists asking about different symptoms, ailments, and so on. No, we're not professionals, and we could be wrong, but why not bring it up, anyhow? It's worth mentioning. All a label is, in my personal opinion, is a gateway to treatment options.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:13 am 

I've been in & out for 3 years. Not being able to hold a job has made it difficult to go to regular counseling. I've had many of these symptoms (Purging, self-mutilation, binge spending & eating & depression in particular.) since childhood but I had hoped that I would have left them behind by now. Now I know that's not the case.

Thanks for the advice, Raeni.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:44 am 
Community Member
Community Member

welcome here dan :)