Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:30 pm 

Hello,
I am 43 years old male, married with three grown up boys( 27, 23, 17). I was diagnosed last summer with BPD by a psychiatrist and referred onto a therapist who runs a DBT group. He told me that I did not have a disorder but that on the BPD spectrum I was somewhere in the middle.
I did 9 months of DBT and found it has helped me. Since the group finished I have slid backwards and have been struggling recently. Feelings of huge emptiness, sadness, anger for no reason and hoplessness.
While I had been in the DBT group I had noticed happy feelings return for the first time in years since I had a breakdown in 2005.
I need some support..have no idea if this forum will work for me, I have found other online support groups not of much help to me. But I have to keep trying. I hate doing this onmy own.
I like writing, volunteering and spending time with my family.Thank you,
Andy

Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:39 pm 

Welcome to the forums Andy. We will definitely do what we can to be here for you and help. Are you currently on any medications? Do you see a Psychiatrist or therapist at all anymore? Do you do any self-help homework or exercises that are dbt related? I haven't had a chance to really get into it yet, but there is a website called dbtselfrecovery.com I was referred to. I plan to check it out tonight, i'll let you know what I think of it, and it might be a good place to start. Also try to focus on the tools section on the left hand side of the website. Try to be mindful of everything and keep that focus.

Also, let us know what's going on, what sort of things did you find really helped you in your DBT group that you are now missing? How long ago did the group finish? Does your spouse or children work as a support system for you to help with your recovery? Do you have access to any therapy at this time?

Let us know how we can help, and again welcome to the forums.