Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unsure...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:00 am 

I've been feeling symptoms of BPD since I can remember, and I've been quite positive of this diagnosis myself for years. Of course, as a 16-year-old girl, I'm beyond unqualified for a self-diagnosis, but I've had this feeling in my gut that BPD is my problem since I took a semester credit of psychology at KU the summer after my 7th grade year. My life is becoming unbearable and I need to figure out how to get this under control soon, as my symptoms are posing a seemingly indestructible obstacle along my path.

I know my symptoms, and I know that they mean something. I may be wrong about BPD, but if I am it needs to get sorted out fast. I'm running out of time, and my symptoms seem to grow increasingly worse with every passing moment. I just want to treat this and get it under control so I can occupy my mind with other, more concrete matters.

If anyone has any way of helping me figure out how to make progress in this, your help would be much appreciated. I think the biggest road block between myself and recovery would be my complete inability to tell someone the truth about what I am experiencing, especially therapists. I believe it would help a great deal if I could get assistance in passing that vital first step.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Unsure...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:04 pm 

The tools on this message board can be helpful to anyone whether they have BPD or not. Why not try some of them out and see what results you get?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:35 pm 

Ya, there is a lot of information on this board. If you need any help, or direction let us know. Also, welcome to the board and congrats on looking at your mental well being at such a young age... i really wish I had. Like you I had the same phobia of therapists, and doctors in general. I'm not sure where you're located, or if you qualify for any free medical advice or help, but if you can, whether it be a walk in clinic, or an emergency room, whatever the case, find someone to talk to. You could also try the suicide prevention hotlines. They aren't just for people thinking about suicide. Kids help phone i think is another you could try. These people tend to not be medical professionals, but they may be able to help you get directed to someone who you will never see again. This may help you with your issues, and get you talking to someone who can properly diagnose you.

Other than that, what renee said was right. The tools on the website (on the left), are great, whether you have bpd or not. I'd suggest going over them and trying to implement them in your life. Don't try to do t hem all at once, do them a little at a time. For instance maybe review "The Five Steps", keep it at the forefront of your mind for 2 weeks and use it whenever you feel the need to. You can also try rigging up some sort of visual aid to remind you of them, such as a rubber band on your wrist, or one of those gel bracelets that are used to raise money for charity. Nobody will know that the gel bracelet is actually to remind yourself of your treatment, instead they'll just assume that you support a charity.

And finally, we're always here to talk. If you are having difficulties with anything let us know and we'll try to help in any way we can.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:48 pm 

Thank you both so much. I will work on implementing the tools in my life. I appreciate your help. It's nice to feel like I'm not hiding anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:49 am 

It may just be safe to venture out of your shell. I have done quite a bit of venturing and I have been pleasantly surprised.