Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm New Here
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:23 pm 

I can't seem to figure out how to post a conversation corner post, so i'm sorry about putting my post here. I'm a 19 year old woman that has not been professionally diagnosed yet. I have had one retired therapist tell me that BPD sounds like the closest fit. I have a book and my husband is sure that BPD is what I must have. I would just like someone friendly to help me figure out my emotions and troubles.

I believe I started to feel different when I was 14 years old. I had just moved to a whole new state, and at first I was excited. Mentally I declined slowly that year. From age 15-19 (now) has been the worst. It almost felt like I woke up one morning and was just sad. I never noticed my mood swings and angry outbursts until my significant other pointed them out to me. I'm just confused and would like someone to talk to. I feel all alone here.

Post subject: Re: I'm New Here
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:51 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Hi there, and welcome. I moved your introductory post to the Welcome Wagon area, and left the other one in On the Border where you posted it.

Conversation Corner is primarily for a one-to-one dialogue to resolve a disagreement or conflict, rather than a general exchange of information.

While I don't think that labels are the be-all-end-all and can get in the way sometimes, I do think it's important to have a good diagnosis from a reputable mental-health provider, and preferably also to establish a trusting and open therapeutic relationship with a good counselor. This is tough to get over on your own, even with a pile of books and self-help workbooks. You need to know if BPD really is the issue, or depression, or some combination of disorders. Once you have identified the baseline diagnosis, then you can start to work on problem-solving.

Read through some of the different forums, and be sure to check out our "Tools." They can be very helpful. And keep in mind that the board isn't super busy at the moment, especially on weekends, so try not to get frustrated if you don't get immediate responses.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:57 am 

I've always been nervous to go see anyone about how I feel. It was hard enough to tell my husband and it still is hard to discuss it sometimes. I'm always stressed and the cost of seeing someone really scares me. I'm just not sure where to go or what to do. I feel lost out here. I recently moved from my old state to a new one about 3 months ago and its taken a toll on me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:02 pm 

I too have suffered with issues about telling people there is something wrong with me. I do have a question... you mention the cost of seeing someone really scares you... do you mean financially or some other form of cost?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:13 pm 

Financially. I grew up very poor so money has always made me nervous and stressed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:31 am 

Welcome!

I suggest you read as much as you can about what BPD is and which aspects you relate to. Try to find out what triggers your negative reactions and make up an "antidote" for them. Try to treat it as a medical condition with changes in behavior to the same old triggers as pills or medicine. That takes some of the mental sting out of it. It also gives you a way to manage your BPD as an illness that needs medicine, just like diabetes or something. BPD is such an invasive/pervasive disorder that it touches on so many negative self-images such as emptiness, black and white thinking, impulsiveness, etc. Pinpoint which ones you have and work out a way to see it coming and a way to change directions. It takes really hard work, but the more you know about it/you, the more you will be able to help yourself even if you can't use a therapist. Good luck,

Cynwyd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:42 pm 

Thanks so much. I have recently been looking around and i might have found a therapist so thats good. I just hope they can help me.