Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: howdy!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:18 pm 

Hi ... I'm new here, and am glad to have found this place to discuss recovery from BPD. I only recently learned I have this disorder, but looking back, I see I have been suffering with it since youth.

BPD has seriously impacted my life ... most obvious to me in the areas of personal relationships (the inability to connect consistently on more than a 'surface level' with most persons) and in the making of life decisions. The BPD 'black and white' thinking (topped with a BIG whopping dollop of 'codependent' behaviors) has made major decision-making in life a very hard thing for me to do. Consequently, I've made a few too many poor choices in life that have hurt my life greatly.

I want to be well ... I want to learn to live well with this disorder, to not allow it to control my life any longer, to recover. I've been reading here for awhile, have just now ordered "Putting the Pieces Together", and am encouraged to connect with others here on the same journey ... so 'hi' to all!

Post subject: Re: howdy!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:13 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

hi and welcome :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:14 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Hi330,

Welcome to you. You sound very motivated, and that is something you really will need to recover. This is a good place to assist you on your journey. Come here often.

So glad you are here.

Dagwood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:28 am 

When I was younger, things (the life decisions I made; the repeated 'walking away' from relationships) didn't seem to matter so much.

But now, as a middle-aged person, I find myself in a spot where I have needed to look back over my life ... to try and evaluate 'how' I ever got to where I am today (in a very 'challenging' life situation) ... and what I see is that I have lived a very fractured and disjointed life. It's been like the 'blinders' have come off and I can see now that the years of poor choices and disconnectedness have caught up with me! :(

It wasn't like I didn't try to do things right ... I did, I did, I did try ... but all that time there was an 'enemy' at work in my life that I did not see ... the BPD, and a family of it ... and it's very hard to fight the enemy and win the battle, when you don't see it.

This disorder has taken a lot from my life ... I don't want to lose anymore to it ... and so, yes, I 'am' very motivated to get well. I'm actually afraid 'not to' ... and sometimes 'fear' can be a good motivator, if it gets me to make healthy changes.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm very glad you all are here, too ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:52 am 
Community Member
Community Member

so are you currently undergoing therapy of any sort?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:24 am 

meremortal wrote:
so are you currently undergoing therapy of any sort?

Medication therapy? No.
CBT/DBT therapy? No, not yet ... but I'm hopeful for the day when I will be able to more actively explore these possibilities.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:40 am 
Community Member
Community Member

not everyone needs medication. so not to worry :)

Well you've ordered "putting the pieces together" right? A good place to start :)

I have a dbt online workbook. If you want me to email it to you, let me know ya :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:22 pm 

meremortal wrote:
not everyone needs medication. so not to worry :)

Well you've ordered "putting the pieces together" right? A good place to start :)

I have a dbt online workbook. If you want me to email it to you, let me know ya :)

( ... my copy of "putting the pieces together" arrived today! :D )

Thanks for the encouragement, mm ... and I would very much like a copy of the dbt workbook.
I will pm you with my email addy! :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:10 am 

I introduced myself before I came through and read the other threads, and yours mirrors my own in a lot of ways, so I thank you for inadvertently relating to what I'm going through currently.

[quote="dagwood"]This disorder has taken a lot from my life ... I don't want to lose anymore to it ... and so, yes, I 'am' very motivated to get well. I'm actually afraid 'not to' ... and sometimes 'fear' can be a good motivator, if it gets me to make healthy changes.[/quote]

Yep. That's it, exactly... I've found something that I've always wanted and I'll be damned if I'm going to let me ruin it this time. It's going to be awesome to go Rambo on some bpd.