Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to BPD Recovery!!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:45 am 

Just wanted to say hello, Im new to this site. I'm from the UK and have recently been diagnosed BPD and now forgotten about or so it seems. I think they are waiting to get me onto DBT but i need to be under a psych for 6-12 months before they refer me on, is that normal?? I haven't had any kind of therapy yet but been told I need to help myself, hence me joining here. I would like to talk to people who understand as like many people on here I guess I know nobody with BPD and feel like I'm the only person I know.

Sorry to ramble :x

Sarah

Post subject: Re: New to BPD Recovery!!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:50 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Hi Sarah and welcome!

I'm in the US, so I'm familiar with the UK health system. We do have some folks from the UK who can probably tell you what you might expect in trying to get help.

And you're not alone. We may not have the same symptoms, but I'm with you and if I can't understand a particular situation you're in, there will be someone else who can.

Don't apologize, dear, you are not rambling. I hope to see more from you!

Trinity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:15 am 

Hello. :)

I'm in the UK, but am in private psychotherapy. I also am not officially diagnosed with Borderline, though at times the traits are very strong in me, it appears that they're not quite enough for the diagnosis. Anyway.

As I understand it, NHS therapy waiting lists vary according to area, and are usually long. How supportive is your GP?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:57 pm 

Hi and thanks for the welcome!!

My GP is hit and miss to be honest and is off on maternity leave this week bless her, so I need to figure out which GP to see next. :(

Its been turmoil being given a diagnosis then left to tough it out, glad my hubby found this site for me!!! Anyway I'm looking in to client centred psychodynamic therapy, has anybody had any experience of this, and did it help?? NOBODY seems to do DBT except on the NHS, don't understand why that is, can anyone shed any light??

HUGS

Sarah :/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:05 pm 

Hi Sara,

Wondering: r u going through NHS? I'm in The Netherlands and have to go through GGz. I think u & I r in similar positions. I've been waiting fire 8 months for for a therapeutic direction and coaching. Something.

Anyways

Welcome!

Peaces,
Stranjer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:46 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Instead of waiting to get into a dbt group, why not buy a dbt workbook from amazon.com and try dbt on your own first?

there is also an online dbt class in yahoo groups.
anyway, welcome onboard :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:34 am 

I'm in analytic based psychotherapy that also is client centred, I guess. Yes, it helps, a lot, because everything that went wrong for me growing up was in relationship, and this focuses on understanding and managing and living with the relational scarring. It's not a quick fix, but then nothing is if you really address all that needs addressing. My therapist actually includes mindfulness, radical acceptance etc, but not in DBT framework or DBT speak. I think any good therapy includes this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:16 am 

meremortal wrote:
Instead of waiting to get into a dbt group, why not buy a dbt workbook from amazon.com and try dbt on your own first?

there is also an online dbt class in yahoo groups.
anyway, welcome onboard :)

Did these things work for you? I asked to join the online DBT class on yahoo today by the way : ) I'm figuring it'll take some determination to keep it up without a therapist etc to encourage you to keep on track

Sarah x

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:03 am 
Community Member
Community Member

mrs_jones wrote:
I asked to join the online DBT class on yahoo today by the way : )

you'll be approved in no time :)

well i kinda dropped out of the online dbt thing. but i'm teaching myself dbt through a book that i bought off amazon.com.

i have no other choice coz there are no dbt groups in my country, at least not that i know of.