Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:56 pm 

Hello everybody. I feel like I keep hitting rock bottom over and over. I took myself to see a therapist and a psychiatrist and found out some things about myself.

Meds haven't been helpful, and I can't afford the therapy.

I've made lots of changes, but not enough. This is really hard.

I've isolated myself and have nobody in my life anymore, except for a girlfriend, who I don't talk to about anything serious because it'd bring her down and its too much.

I've been employed for 10 years now, and I've been drug free for almost 4.

I only ever seek out people anymore when I'm in a crisis, which makes it hard to communicate

Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:46 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

hi zeroempathy,

So glad you are here. In some ways it sounds like you are doing well with long-term employment and being drug free for 4 years. Those are wonderful accomplishments. Do you have any family at all, although I know from experience it's hard to explain things to others.

Are there any mental health clinics in your area where perhaps you could find some therapy for very little cost?

Keep coming here.

Dagwood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:39 am 

dagwood wrote:
hi zeroempathy,

So glad you are here. In some ways it sounds like you are doing well with long-term employment and being drug free for 4 years. Those are wonderful accomplishments. Do you have any family at all, although I know from experience it's hard to explain things to others.

Are there any mental health clinics in your area where perhaps you could find some therapy for very little cost?

Keep coming here.

Dagwood

Thanks! I am doing well with trying to live a healthier life. I have some family, but there was a lot of dysfunction involved and I thought it was a good idea to remove them from my life. I didn't want to deal with unhealthy people anymore. My gf is very compassionate, patient, and understanding, but I don't like to burden her with my issues so I keep it mostly to myself.

I don't know about the mental health clinics, but I can look into it. The two professionals I saw didn't go very well. They seemed knowledgeable and eager to help, but something didn't seem right about it... thats hard to explain.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:58 am 
Community Member
Community Member

ZE,

I can well understand about not wanting to burden people with your problems. But, it sounds like your girl friend does love and care about you, and part of having a loving relationship is the sharing of things that bother us. Oh poo! I do the same thing, to be honest. I do share a lot of things with my boyfriend; and he has quite a bit of dysfunction in his family so he's more sympathetic than many would be.....and he loves me. However; there is a lot I don't tell him. It's tricky, IMHO, to know to whom and how much to share about how we think and feel. There have been some people in my life who just didn't really want to know....like my own parents-----this really hurt, especially since I was already in such pain, then feeling rejected by them. I'm rooting for you.

Dagwood

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:00 am 
Community Member
Community Member

how bout buying a dbt workbook from amazon.com and doing dbt on your own?

Of course it's less effective than having a therapist, but hey, it's sure better than nothing right?