Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Here
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am 

My wife of many tears is diagnosed BPD and OCD. We've been working for about a year with a CBT, we both go to individual and couples sessions. I've been advised to leave whenever she gets out of control. I'm not so sure of this anymore. She has become more inwardly troubled during this year, she has been able to control herself but I think it has more to to with fear than actual recovery. She is drinking almost daily, she never used to do that and has gained nearly 35 pounds over the year. She used to scratch herself, I think she has stopped that in visible areas but is scratching her scalp now in the back of her head where it can't be seen.

Has ANYONE here had success with CBT for their BPD? or should I try to move her to a DBT or Schema therapist?

MD

Post subject: Re: New Here
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:37 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Welcome MD! This site is all about overcoming BPD using CBT. Ash, who started the site, is now living a happy, healthy life due to CBT and hard work. I used CBT and EMDR, in addition to meds, to get where I am. There's no magic bullet. There's hard work and a decision that you want to change.

Again, welcome, and I wish you and your wife luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:56 am 

Trinity wrote:
Welcome MD! This site is all about overcoming BPD using CBT. Ash, who started the site, is now living a happy, healthy life due to CBT and hard work. I used CBT and EMDR, in addition to meds, to get where I am. There's no magic bullet. There's hard work and a decision that you want to change.

Again, welcome, and I wish you and your wife luck.

I understand there's no magic bullet. What brought me here is that I'm hearing on another forum that DBT or Schema are the ONLY ways to go with therapy.
My wife is in CBT and So am I. I have been at it for a year and a half both individual sessions and sessions with my wife. My wife has only been going individually for five months. She is on Lexapro 20mg a day.
I was put on Lexapro 10mg a day but have stopped taking it as I have handled the depression from our relationship issues. I was diagnosed ADD and put on Vyvanse, which gave me terrible side effects which effected my ability to be a validating caring spouse.

Is CBT going to work with my wife? Am I expecting too much too soon?

My wife is high functioning for sure but does have some low functioning tendencies - especially when stressed.
The other reason I'm here is to get a better understanding from those that have gone through recovery or are on that path about reasonable expectations and fears they have or have had.

As you would expect it's difficult for my wife to "let me in" on the hard stuff and that's fine with me as long as she is working on it with the T.
She has heard the term BPD but does not acknowledge it. The T says she knows she has issues to contend with and knows they effect her relationships with her family. She is a good person and I lover her very much that's why I've been with her for 25 years.

MD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:03 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Welcome MD,

so glad you've found your way to this board. A long time ago I got a book on Schema therapy.....it sounded interesting, but I have never known anyone who has used it. It's really up to your wife, no matter what kind of therapy she may take part in. She's most fortunate that she has such a supportive person in her life, one who is so willing to take such an active role in her recovery. The drinking every day could be a temporary relief for the internal struggles....I know it was for me. IMHO, she needs to stop drinking for any real insight and recovery to take place. As long as I drank, I could create a different "reality", but my life was still falling apart. I didn't make any real progress until I stopped drinking completely. Alcohol can mask or exacerbate symtoms.

anyway, glad you're here, and that you can find some help and support. Just keep in mind that your wife can recover, but it means a lot of hard work and motivation on her part.

dagwood