Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello... again... and again...
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:51 am 

I've actually been a member for... awhile now but didn't receive a "formal" diagnosis a little over a year ago. When I say formal I mean I'm sitting in a psychiatrists office after several visits and having her tell me "you have x,y, and z so we need to set up a treatment based on x,y, and z".
After what could be best described as a psychotic episode, my partner chose to try and work things out with me. We've had relative success through couple's counseling and me making a commitment to be as stable as I possibly can be. It's weird because my memory is kind of like Swiss cheese at time so when I look back at the posts I've put on here I turn beet red and desperately look for the delete button. So I'll make the same commitment here, I'll keep my crazies down to a minimum and try to actually be a positive member of this community.
What has prompted this is that this year is going to hold a lot of change: I and my family will be moving to Orlando in July, I will be getting married in October, and "God willing" will be graduating from college within the year. While I wait to get into DBT and back on medications, I think that the tools on here will be very much worth mastering because I feel that it would help the transition go more smoothly if I had a few more things in my toolbox to help me handle some of the obstacles that are before me.
I have been trying to repair some of the relationships that I've destroyed in the past ten years, with relative degrees of success and failure, but as I've done terrible things that haven't honored my children or my partner as humans I owe it to them and myself to work as hard as I can to be the best person I possibly can be.

Pax

Post subject: Re: Hello... again... and again...
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:55 am 
Community Member
Community Member

I remember you from days of old....and am glad to see you back. Sounds like you've got a lot of life changes coming your way.Are you feeling at all overwhelmed?.....I certainly would be....more power to you kiddo. About the "crazies"....this is a good place to "reveal" those, ha,ha.

Anyway, welcome. I do hope things start looking up for you shortly. Congratulations on your plans for the future.

dagwood

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:54 pm 

It's the potential to be overwhelmed. Not quite there yet. A lot of it is because I work third shift so I have limited exposure to the things that would overwhelm me.
Things are good right now and I would like to keep them that way.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:20 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Hey, welcome back!!

Sometimes I think the formal diagnosis is kind of irrelevant, but I think in your case it sounds like a good thing. If your doctor thinks that medication can help stabilize your moods, and you can get into a DBT program, that's all good. Certainly worth trying, at any rate.

I love your attitude. We can't pretend that our past mess-ups didn't happen -- there are no undo's or redo's. But we can readjust going forward. Even if we can't salvage all the relationships we screwed up, we can try to make some amends and we can certainly try to do better with our significant others in the future.

You will have challenges coming up, with all the major life adjustments you will have to make -- moving, marriage, graduating, etc. I hope you'll be able to find yourself a competent therapist when you relocate, so that you'll have someone to touch base with if you find yourself decompensating due to all the stresses. But with your attitude and determination, you can do it!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:06 am 

Welcome back! :)
It does sound like a good thing that you've been formally diagnosed. It sounds like the treatment set up should be helpful too. I hope that the medication they try helps, and I know you'll probably find some really good and helpful things in DBT.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:20 am 

Hi Pax!

I haven't been here for too long so this is our first time "meeting", but welcome back! :)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:32 am 
Community Member
Community Member

welcome onboard pax!

hope to see you around more often :)