Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Elbow Deep Within the Borderline.....
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:08 pm 

30 year old male. Diagnosed borderline. I've read a bit about BPD and studied a little psychology in general, but I'd like to learn more. Hoping to find some good resources to learn and share. Looking for discussion, resources, and/or good sites related to CBT and/or DBT. Information related to ADHD, medications, substance use/abuse, and dealing with self-image / dysmorphia are areas of high personal interest as well.

I also have a 17 year old brother who I'm not certain has been diagnosed BPD, but i would bet a body part that he fits the diagnostic criteria. I'm trying to not only help myself, but possibly find something that could help him, as well.

I've suffered with this in various ways since childhood (as has my brother) but fortunately, i am rather intelligent and have always been a heavy reader. My mother might fit the criteria for BPD as well. My father may or may not, but likely has some form of personality disorder. I am somehow the only one in my family that can see my own bullshit for what it is. (For the most part-- my father has gotten better over the years, and my brother shows some promise) Yet somehow, i still feel powerless to change it sometimes. I'd like to change this things, if I can. Or, at the very least figure out how to accept and work with them....

thanks.

Post subject: Re: Elbow Deep Within the Borderline.....
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:09 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

hey elbow deep,
welcome onboard :) feel free to check out the tools section and also the forum ya :)

Post subject: Re: Elbow Deep Within the Borderline.....
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:12 am 
Hey, I caught that Tool reference. First thing I've been sharp about all week. 8-)

I've read that there can be genetic predisposition to BPD, on chromosome 9. Not too much out there on that, but environmental influence is really huge so everyone sort of rubs off on each other. Not only that, but I'll tell you in the early days of accepting my diagnosis, I saw BPD everywhere. At first I thought the entire world was screwy(well, it is, in a quirky sense), but the behaviors are really so utterly common in small doses, especially in someone who is going through stressful events. Bringing us to reverting to childhood coping mechanisms...But I digress.

Anyways, welcome to the forum. Like mere mentioned, we have a section of tools here that you'll see on the left. They have been really huge aides to a lot of us here. They're pretty simplistic and that's what I think has been a big help for me, personally. I tend to complicate everything 5fold, so I appreciate things that are concise and bring me back down to earth.

Are you currently in any kind of therapy? :welcome