Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I somehow saw this coming...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:45 pm 

Hello there. My name is Stephanie. I am a 19 year old with Ulcerative Colitis. I am not a stranger to many medical and mental conditions. I am a trichotillomaniac and have problems with my appetite. I just found out I have been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. It was hinted at me when I was in high school, but of course, I was too young to be diagnosed. For some reason I feel like being branded with this makes things ten times worse though. I am frightened that my relationship is going to crumble.. This is the person I want to spend my life with and I am probably killing it. I think I am close to rock bottom if I haven't already hit it... I have considered being put away for a while, Nothing feels real anymore. =< I came here to see what I can do about these things that feel like fragments of myself. Hello there to you all, and I really hope this helps...

Post subject: Re: I somehow saw this coming...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:11 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Hi Stephanie and welcome. I'm so sorry your post took so long to approve. I'd been studying for finals and hadn't been back to the board for a bit.

As I recently mentioned in another post, I think it's great that you know about BPD even though you're only 19. I was in my late 20s when I found out I had BPD and believe I could've learned how to handle myself better (and sooner) had I known about BPD when I was younger.

Please continue posting. I know that quite a few people around here can relate to you. Welcome again!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:02 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

hi there stephanie

i'm 29, was diagnosed with bpd 2 years ago and now i consider myself recovered :)

initially when i was first diagnosed, things took a turn for the worse. I became very much suicidal as i couldn't accept the fact that i was sick. But as time passed and i could accept, with the help of therapy and medication and lots and lots of self help, things gradually became better.

point is, if i can do it, if dozen others have done it, YOU can do it too :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:15 am 

Hello... I am new here, so this is my first attempt at posting. I am in my forties and was not 'diagnosed' with BPD until about ten years ago. Before that, I had just been told I had a dissociative disorder. A couple years ago I found a center in my city that specializes in BPD and DBT treatment. I started going there several times a week for individual, couples (with my partner), and group therapy sessions. The thing was that most of the patients, and therefore most of the techniques were aimed toward teenagers, or young people. I cannot tell you how fortunate you are to have such an early start to your road to recovery! Once you get to be my age, there are so many tragedies that have stemmed from the illness that can't be undone even if I somehow manage to straighten myself out... my family, friends, and children have all been affected. Order the books, utilize the online resources like this one, and find some local support. Then fight. Not some wimpy fight, either. This is a battle you can win because you have an early start. Fight hard, be strong, and know that you will always find someone here who's got your back.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:12 am 
Community Member
Community Member

hello christina :)

welcome onboard :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:45 pm 

Hi Stephanie. I'm sorry to hear that you're having a hard time.

I sympathize with your stomach and appetite issues... I have IBS and EDNOS. :/

Try to keep in mind that psych labels are often just a way of classifying something that we don't fully understand yet, or for the sake of treatment and medical insurance. You are not your labels.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:15 pm 

Thanks, meremortal... I wish this site was a little more active - a lot of the posts are pretty old, but it does seem like there are several "regulars" that comment / respond to posts. That's good, because I am sure there are plenty of things to talk about that would be great to bounce off people who have been there / done that / or are at least dealing with some of the same issues.

:torn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:29 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Hi Christina,

I'm here too.....please, "bounce" away :D
I'm here quite a lot.

dagwood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:36 am 

Hello,
I was diagnosed when I was 42, two years ago. I think it is a good thing to be diagnosed because then you can get the right help. Wandering around for years not understanding yourself is worse I think.

I did DBT and other therapy. The DBT definitely helped me target my problems...and I was lucky to do it with really caring therapists. Previously I had done other therapy with a psychologist who just didnt seem to know what was going on with me. So...I think a diagnosis is not a bad thing really.

Also, BPD can be treated with positive results.

I have got better....I am far from completely better..I know I will always have to fight...But I am not hopeless anymore.

I really like this site...I get a lot of help from it and it helps me feel better. Sometimes I dont contribute much but I am glad it is here.

Take Care everyone...and Keep Fighting!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:21 am 

Hey, Stephanie... Just wondering how you're doing. Are there any specific issues you are needing help with right now?

~ Christina