Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Going on 6 years without treatment.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:52 pm 

Hi. Recovery focused or not, I'm a little frustrated. but happy to see an active forum with healthy amount of members and look forward to hopefully getting some actual concrete information about seeking dbt treatment.

It has been suggested to me after years of teenage therapy that i have bpd. I have since then gone thru 6 years of my life without help, but not by choice. I have sought out treatment on 4 different occasions in different counties for dbt treatment to no avail. Serveral types of insurance have given me various reasons from, bpd being a personality disorder so it is not covered under mental health to, im sorry you're not suicidal or on drugs so we cannot treat you. I have looked under several types of insurance providers for dbt treatment, called the brtc founded by marsha linhan for treatment or local therapy suggestions...all of this to end up back in the same spot again.

I have since graduated college and established a career in downtown seattle, but I'm starting to struggle even more greatly with my daily life and NEED help. I've begun to realize that despite my drive to force myself to lead a successful life and move on from everything that happened to my in my adolescence...I have a disorder that i still to this day makes me struggle so much that its not something any person should have to live their life like. So I want to seek help, again, and any suggestions, books, reading material, anything...would be very much appreciated.

maybe someone here might be able to suggest something that i haven't found or thought of because i simply don't have the $12,000 annually that dbtseattle wants for treatment and every-time i try to find my way out another door is slammed in my face. and theres my peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:09 pm 

Welcome to BPDR!

I'm actually a member of a free online DBT class which can be found here:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/dbtclass/
It's not quite the same thing as professional help but I've found it wonderful for learning the DBT skills. :)

There are a few DBT self-help books out there as well. The one I liked best was The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook by Matthew McKay. Another which comes to mind is Don't Let Your Emotions Run Your Life by Scott Spradlin. You can find both on Amazon.

And there are lots of great tools on this website too, though they're mostly based on CBT rather than DBT. Have a look around!

I do know how frustrating it is when you can't get the help you need. I live in the UK where we have a national health service but I found it very hard to access therapy - long waiting lists, being limited to a fixed number of sessions, very little choice about who I saw or the type of therapy they offered, etc. I did get there eventually and am now recovered - so there is hope! :D

Best of luck to you, and I hope you stick around.

Marga.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:12 pm 

Hello!
I guess the best I can do for you right now is say that I am well aware of what you are going through. I have been struggling with bpd for about 7 years and I have had a lot of doors slammed in my face. I am, like you, still struggling, and I find myself having many bad days. I am on an anti-depressant, and my family pays for my insurance, as I am still a college student. However, we have had lots of struggles with mental health doctors and hospitals-- to get into the hospital to re-evaluate my medication last year I really had to beg them to let me stay. It was almost as if I wasn't mentally ill enough for them.

I am just here to get tips too. I hope to learn with you and will let you know if I have any information for you. It's so hard to get help, you know? The costs are insane. But like I said, I'll try to help.