Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 'Together again for the first time'
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:05 pm 

Hi. I first found out about personality disorders 8 years ago when my [then] 14 y/o step-daughter left our home, leveling false child abuse charges against her dad and me.

The preceding 10 years were a tangle of loving her, being primary caretaker to a little girl with definite, but undefined, issues... all the while dealing with her toxic bio-mother (MyGuy's ex).

The following 5 years were their own kind of hell... for Daughter and us. The first 10 months that she lived with her BM we were not allowed to contact Daughter, we didn't even know where she was half the time. Daughter never recanted the false allegations, even when her BM kicked her out, so my husband and I battled for her well-being over the next 3 years while she was in RTC.

Our daughter turned 21 y/o last spring. She has a 2 y/o little girl (who we met when she was 5 mos. old)... who I absolutely adore. Daughter has started a career in the medical field, and we are cautiously embracing her as a family while she cautiously embraces back. I'm very proud of the progress she's making and am hopeful for the future.

~ jrrr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:28 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Hi jr --

Sounds like you went through some tough times. But congratulations on the progress your family and your step-daughter have made. Healing is a slow, often frustrating process. I hope things continue to improve for all of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:05 am 

Thank you, sari!

My sDaughter's BPD-like symptoms aren't the only reason I'm hoping to be a part of this community. Her bio-mom's behaviors indicate severe untreated BPD... I'm thinking many here may also understand having an emotionally impaired parent.

And I'm certainly not a poster child for mental health. I've had debilitating anxiety disorder for most of my life, not to mention an unhealthy dose of dysfuntion in my family-of-origin and ensuing relationships.

I'm glad to be here, and hope to learn and become a source of support for fellow community members.

~ jr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:11 am 

Ooops. I just noticed I said '8 years' when I meant to say it was '7' years ago that I found out about PDs.

Also, I want to mention that I used to be a member here at BPDRecovery a couple years ago... 'Though I doubt anyone would remember me, some of the names are familiar, including your's, Sari!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:09 pm 

Thank you for posting! I am currently 19 years old... and I still struggle a bit, it is encouraging for me to read about your daughter's improvement.

I'm sorry you have gone through so much, but I really applaud how much you've stuck by your daughter through it all.

I'm sure the toxic bio mom in her life has never been productive to her recovery, or a good example either. Both of my parents suffer from mental illness, and it's tough.

I look forward to getting to know you a lot more. Thanks for being here.